Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

My website!

Hey guyz, im wanting to start my own pc building company and have been doing my website over the weekend and have put what s done onto here so check it out and let me know what u think. Also i got myself a few suppliers so i have my price lists now smile.

Perhaps you should state what sort of comment you are looking for in terms of honesty, as some ppl [myself included] tend to be rather brutally honest when someone asks them for their opinion, so on a scale of 1 to 3, what level of honesty are you looking for:

1 - You want your arse kissed & want to be told how wonderful it is, regardless of whether it is or not.

2 - Vague & non-committal, so as not to hurt your feelings, but without lying.

3 - Brutally honest.

Personally I never do no. 1, no. 2 I can manage, but I prefer no. 3. smile

Just basically for people to say, oh i dont like this bit or i would change that to this or that colours not nice,etc

LOL - in otherwords I'm gonna have to try extra hard not to sound nasty, cos I don't intend this as nasty, just honest & constructive criticism.

1. Get your own URL [& webspace that doesn't come with a pop-up] - if someone else had given me that link & told me that they were thinking of buying from it & asked for my opinion 1st I would have closed the window about 1/2 a second after the Geocities pop-up appeared & told them not to bother, & given them the links to sites I've already dealt with.

2. Sorry for nit-picking, but technically it's not a site, it's a page - it doesn't have any clickable links or pages to go to @ the present time.

3. adjust your table formatting so that it adjusts to the size of the window.

4. Take another look @ the greeting text under the title/logo - you might want to re-think your wording smile

5. Some sort of indication of whether prices include VAT.

6. I can't believe I'm actually suggesting this as it normally bugs me on websites that do it, but perhaps some sort of subtle wallpaper or texturing as it looks rather bleak, wouldn't be so bad if it had a side menu or something.

7. In future, don't say click here until there's actually a link to click on - very good way to annoy ppl & make them leave.

Just a few things for you to think about. smile

I agree with pretty much everything Alien stated, though I can see you have a work in progress. Do you plan on having the parts database (if you will even have one) searchable? Will the catalog be broken down so you can just look at memory or CPUs? Just listing the all at once would be confusing, slow to load (all the images), and annoying to anyone just trying to find one thing in the mix. Also, have some sort of navbar (could be an include) that will carry over to all the pages so the user can get to his/her cart, back to the home page, etc. And you might want to consider the use of CSS for managing site colors and fonts incase you register either or both of these as trademarks (if applicable).

There is actually the 1 webpage so far, have only completed 1 and havent got a url yet. I forgot to mention that all i am doing is testing the site at this minute. I'm not registered for VAT, neiher is my mams company yet so thats out of the way for the time being. Basically this is the construct for the Homepage.