Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Guys what really makes WinXP better than Win2k pro?

Quote:

Permission handling is also much improved. Being able to force permissions down a directory tree is great.

I don't quite follow on this one, as the permissions architecture in NTFS is the same (except the GUI looks a little different). If you want *real* control over NTFS permissions, use cacls.exe in the future.

Quote:

I don't quite follow on this one, as the permissions architecture in NTFS is the same (except the GUI looks a little different). If you want *real* control over NTFS permissions, use cacls.exe in the future.

Permissions.jpg

Thats the feature I'm referring to, I'm fairly certain it was never on Win2k.

I am pretty sure it was, but I have to get to another box to be sure (gotta jet for lunch :)).

OK, I just remembered to get back to this, so here it is:

ntfs-inheritance.gif

However, if you want better control over permissions management cacls is the way to go.

I would like to stress again that the compatibility in 2K is EXACTLY THE SAME as in XP. It's just the pretty shortcut interfaces that make it seem different, and the XP new GUI that makes it slighly different. That's why I'm working on porting XP compatibility patches to 2K but it takes a very long time for one guy. smile

Clutch: That's 2k Server isn't it? I could have sworn I never saw it in 2k Pro...

DosFreak: I was aware of that. The new GUI interface is the worst part about it. It's made a whole generation of users who think making an NT OS run every piece of 9x software ever written is as simple as selecting an option in a Property sheet and in my experience thats hardly ever true.

Quote:

I would like to stress again that the compatibility in 2K is EXACTLY THE SAME as in XP. It's just the pretty shortcut interfaces that make it seem different, and the XP new GUI that makes it slighly different. That's why I'm working on porting XP compatibility patches to 2K but it takes a very long time for one guy. smile

That's what I figured that since the 2 OSes are identical pretty much. Does this mean I can install High Stakes on 2K without fiddling? Sound in DOS?

XP has several more compatibility patches built into it than 2k so theres a possibility that the one for High Stakes won't be in 2k. Also you won't get sound in DOS unless you install something like VDMSound, soundfx2000 or a complete emulation package like Connectix Virtual PC.

I was referring to the application compatibity patches as in the .sdb files in the \appatch directory that resides in the \winnt (2k) \windows (xp) directories. Those are pretty much the same between XP/2K. NTVDM sound isn't a factor in such compatibility....I don't see it getting better in any future versions of windows either....

Thanks for the clearup DOSFreak and Admiral LSD. I was always pissed at MS for not incorporating an official fix for High Stakes into 2K, they did both NFS2SE and NFS3 but not High Stakes. Damn MS were like ignorant sluts.

Hang on, there was a fix for NFS3? I never recall that... In addition to ****ing around with APPCOMPAT.EXE to get the thing to actually install (it did the old "This product will not install on Windows NT" thing...) I still had to set the shortcut up to automatically run as a different user (which wouldn't be so bad if you could set up a password to use instead of having it prompt you each time...) because M$ locked down access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE compared with NT4 and EA hardcoded NFS3 to get its keys from there. XP fixed the former resulting in NFS3 being able to install straight off the CD but the latter still bothers me although thats not entirely M$'s fault...

The official Windows 2000 Application Compatibility Update adds a fix for both Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit and Need For Speed 2 SE.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/appcompat/default.asp

In the list you will see both NFS3 and NFS2SE. However, no NFS High Stakes. After applying this patch I had no issues with NFS3 at all. I had to fiddle around with High Stakes alot to get working under 2000, the only way I could get it was to follow the method here at NTCompatible and by adding -d3d1 to the shortcut. XP installs and runs both games fine with no problems.

I can't remember if I had that update or not (was it rolled into a service pack at all? SP1? I remember having to uninstall SP1 once because APPCOMPAT wouldn't work properly with it installed) but I'm positive I didn't need it since after discovering APPCOMPAT.EXE I was able to install and run it under the release build of 2k without any hassles (save the registry tangles).

Yep, Microsoft has incorporated more fixes in XP than 2K. If ye take a look at the "Compatibility Administration Tool" you'll see all of the fixes for all of the software...although I've noticed sometimes fixes don't show up there that really are in the database....

Anyways if ye use the Compat Admin tool on both 2k/xp you'll see that XP has more fixes, plus a couple more .sdb's. The extra .sdb's are for the little popup balloons you get like when you install older versions of Black Ice and it pops up a message stating that this version doesn't go and go here to get the latest ver.

The last time I used the Compat Admin tool about 2 months ago wink the ver from XP wouldn't work in 2K so I had to use an older beta version from one of the XP Compatibility toolkit's. Dunno if the Compatibility Tookit 2.5 can list both databases in 2K/XP but I'm gonna try it out when I get back.

Which is why before I went on leave I would simply move the .sdb's out of XP into the Appatch directory in 2K. Load up the Compat Admin tool and look at the list of what fixes were taken for each program. Write 'em down. Move the 2k .sdb's back into their proper directory and try the fixe's to see if they worked. Some do, Some don't. With some fixes working in 2K that don't work in XP and some working in XP that don't in 2K! LOL! smile It's a pain. Eventually I'd like to compile all the fixes for games that aren't in the database for which I own and distribute the updated sdb's to those who'd want 'em. For now I'm content just to explain in the Compatibility Lists how to fix 'em for yourself.

Here's the fixes XP implements for NFS:HS:

3DSETUP.EXE

FIXES

Win95VersionLie

VirtualRegistry (Command Line: DYN_DATA

_INS5576._MP

MODES

Compatibility:ProfilesSetup

FIXES

Win95VersionLie

NFSHS.ICD

FIXES

EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace

Theoretically all you would need to do is apply those same fixes in 2K to the game to get the exact same compatibility that XP has.

Even then it's still not perfect. Heck, in XP you still have MIGHT have to apply the 4.44/4.50 patch, you also MIGHT have to use the CD crack, and you MAY also have to modify the 3data.dat file in the NFS:HS directory to get the game to work!

Here's the process I go through for both 2K and XP:

Windows 2000

Right-click on setup.exe on the CD and create a shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut, go to properties

and then the compatibility tab. Check the box and choose Windows 95. Now run the shortcut!

After the files are done copying setup may hang. If so hit ctrl+alt+del, choose Task Manager, go to

processes and end the 3ddata.exe task. After ending you may receive this error message: "Error! Could not

read 'Problem' value." Just hit ok.

Now patch the game with either the 4.44 or 4.50 patch. You may also need to use a CD crack. I did.

Now you will need to edit your registry. Go to start/run/regedit. Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWRE/ELECTRONIC ARTS/NEED FOR SPEED HIGH STAKES

Now modify the THRASH DRIVER key. Change it from "software" to "d3da".

Now close regedit and load Need For Speed High Stakes!

Windows XP

Does not work right after install on some machines. Requires installation of 4.44 or 4.50 patch. After patch is installed a CD crack may also be require. (It was for me). Next go to the directory where you installed the game. Now go to the 3dsetup directory open the 3ddata.dat file with notepad and change the line D3D=0 to D3D=1. Now run 3dsetup.exe and choose Direct3D. Now run the game!

Quote:

Yep, Microsoft has incorporated more fixes in XP than 2K. If ye take a look at the "Compatibility Administration Tool" you'll see all of the fixes for all of the software...although I've noticed sometimes fixes don't show up there that really are in the database....

Thats what I thought. It was the Compat Admin Tool that showed me just how extensive M$' committment to Application Compatibility was in XP. It's also the reason I get so pissed off at people who suggest using Compatibility Mode as a solution to every little issue in XP and saying XP sucks when it doesn't work.

What makes XP better than 2K?

Nothing. XP is Microsoft's latest $ucce$$ful attempt to gain revenue for the next 2 years and on. Otherwise the name of this thread would be What makes 2K better than 9X?

XP is an ok OS for 80 percent of computer users (who don't know sh*t about computing to begin with) It is almost an idiot proof OS, almost and very bloated with extra crap. All XP really is, is 2K with a pretty shell (which you can duplicate with 3rd party programs), balloons to help ID10Ts, Self organizing menus and folders, and the latest versions of IE and DX.

In my experience XP ran just like 2K except that ADOBE Premiere 6.01 took 300MB more ram than it does in 2K. I use Premiere daily and can't have that massive mem leak. If .NOT is anything like XP, 2K will be on my machines for a while. My advice and plan is to move to XP when SP2 comes out for it. Ironically I have 2 XP Pro Full Retail CDs just waiting to be installed. Dusty they shall remain.

"Guys what really makes WinXP better than Win2k pro?"

P.R.O.P.A.G.A.N.D.A.

SO those of us you use XP and prefer it are idiots?.

I happen to like the pretty interface. Makes up for all the dull command line **** I gotta do.

It's different in the fact that it finally merged the business OS and the home OS into 1. Thank GOD for NTFS. I wish I were still working at my old store. Would have saved me a lot of trouble calls from little old ladies.

As for the Pro in me, I prefer 2000 cause it strains the hardware less, and is a bit easier to deploy for now.

Quote:
Fisher-Price interface

XP's interface has often been likened to the toy company's brightly coloured playthings, designed to be easily understood and used by children. The implication is that Microsoft is being condescending through its interface design. I'm not convinced by this argument for three reasons.

One, the interface is no less functional than it ever was (with a few exceptions, mostly due to the differences between XP and 2000). You can still do everything you need to do -- in fact, you can do much more.

Two, we spend a lot more time staring at computer screens than ever before. If I'm going to spend the better part of my day looking at a computer screen, I'd prefer it to be as attractive as possible.

Three, if you don't like the revised interface, you can turn it off. What's more, you can turn it off selectively -- you can shut off individual things that drive you nuts, like the animated/scrolling menus (my least favourite feature) or the drop-shadow on the cursor. You can also revert to the original Start button, if that's your cup of hot chocolate, although having tried the new Start button, I know I'm happier with it.

If you want to hack the XP interface in ways not directly available to the end user, you can try out the Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP package, which includes an XP-specific version of the TweakUI program. If that doesn't provide enough power for you, go a step further and check out a program by StarDock called WindowBlinds, which lets you customise everything in the Windows interface.

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/apcmag.nsf/1_alldocs/CF9DE627F8FD02EACA256B53001B2A21

I pretty much agree with him about the new GUI. It's nowhere as childish as the people who hate it make it out to be. Plus, after 7 years of that dead-boring Explorer shell it's a refreshing change.

The GUI might be ok, but when I have my C: partition as NTFS and I get device boot errors due to a ****ING BUG, well THAT IS PISSING ME OFF!!! That's what I call pathetic...

I think the best thing about winXP, is it's ability to find the network in no time, and with no manual configuration. Just pop up network configuration window and choose Repair. It then finds LAN, and gateway leading to internet if any.

My notebook simply can't live without this nice little detail smile

Overall I prefer XP over W2K, but by a slim margin. This is mostly due to it's better multimedia and game compatibility, faster boot time, and less reboots required when adding/removing/changing windows components and other programs. Hell, I didn't have to reboot 1 time to install Office XP! I also think XP has better crash recovery than W2K.

Things I don't like are many of the "advanced" options we all love in W2K are a bit hidden in XP, even the Professional Edition, which I find weird. Also, there seem to be a good amount of nuisance bugs with the new gui, such as taskbar icons acting weird, the new Start Menu getting shuffled around for no apparent reason.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is sometimes I cannot delete, rename, copy, or move a media file because it gives me the error that it is being used by another program. This happens with media files usually, and the only way I could ever get around it was to shut down. Just rebooting would not fix this problem for me. Beleive me, I cannot find any programs that are using the file. I think Windows just gets it locked somehow. If anyone can shed more light on this for me, I would appreciate it.