Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

disk imaging programs

Anyone know of any good free programs that will image my hard disk. I have Ghost 6.5 but it isn't compatible with XP. frown

you will have to run ghost in DOS not in a DOS window. Just grab any DOS bootable floppy on the net and boot with it. Then put in your floppy with ghost on it and run ghost. It will see the partition.

Try Powerquest Drive Image... it Images my Win2k SP2 Partitions with no problem... (also restore works smile

Quote:

WOn't copy an XP partition tho
Yes it does, well it does with FAT32 anyway - i don't use NTFS so I don't know how it behaves with that.

PowerQuest DriveImage 5.01 works just fine with NTFS partitions on WinXP.

Ghost 5.x and up will definately work with NTFS partitions, and I know for sure that Ghost 6.x and up will work with XP's NTFS v5.0.

Just make a boot disk from 95, 98, or ME by going to START, RUN and typing "FORMAT A: /Q /S" <----No quotes though. After that copy ghost.exe to the floppy and boot from it. I've been using Ghost 7 for about a year...

Are you using Dynamic disk or standard NTFS? I have run into problems with Dynamic disks and ghost, but all it prevented me from doing is imaging the entire disk... disk -to image. If I ran partition -to image and then selected ALL the partitions, I did not have a problem. However I have not tried this with NTFS 5 (XP), so I could be blowing smoke.

Another cool thing. MS finally realized that we still use 98 boot disks.. when you have a floopy and choose format in XP, there is a "create MS-DOS Startup Disk" option (ho-ray!) which creates a 98 system boot disk. Problem is, it puts a bunch of garbage on there too... easy enough to delete what you don't need... anything that's not hidden on the disk except command.com, then drop a copy of ghost on there (it may fit without bothering to delete all that stuff).