Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

Explain to me, NICs and DMA?

This is my story:

I had a CNet 200Pro 100Mbit PCI NIC in my PC and audio skippet and was all bad, even worse if I enabled network icon in notification area. Then I exchanged the Cnet NIC with an Intel PRO/100 PCI NIC from my brothers computer, and all became well!

However, now my brother have same problems, only a little wors, if he set network speed to 100Mbit (I have 100mbit switch); mouse jerks and music skips. If I set it to 10Mbit, everything is OK.

I hear it was aa DMA issue, but there is no suggestion the Intel NIC uses a DMA in my PC, nor in system information or adaptor properties.

What is up here, do the Intel NIC really use a DMA even if I cant see it or is the cheap CNet nic garbage? What NIC would you recommend?

I'm about to exchange the CNet nic for a SMC nic with realtek chip, is this a good idea?

NIC's based on or from these manufacturers are good IMO, Belkin [Realtek chipset], Intel, 3Com, Realtek, and Linksys.

I have a D-Link which I don't really like [i don't know why] but seems to work just fine.

Be wary of Cnet, Cicero, and Netgear, man Netgear are problematic.