Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

I have my T-bird 1 ghz running at 1.33 on a 8K7A is 1.5 wort

I have not unlocked my T-bird yet. Is unlocking it and running at 1.5 ghz worth it?

What are your settings (multiplier x FSB) ?

The highest possible FSB is what you should aim for, not highest possible CPU speed alone.

Of course its worth it, as long as you get it up and running stable! And apart from a minimal risk - whats there to loose ? Another thing is that it seems pretty unlikely to succeed.

H.

FSB maybe, unlocking the Athlon no. By the time you use a good cooler, and some thermal grease, just buy a faster one

There's no guarantee you'll hit 1.5GHz stable, but it'll be fun to try. Just make sure you have good cooling.

There are just so many ways that your question "is it worth it?" can be answered.

-Is it worth it to you? If you want to broaden your experience with the PC by overclocking it further through new techniques, it might be worth it. What you learn could be invaluable.

-Is it a significant overclock? From 1.0GHz to 1.5 is pretty significant, but as was pointed out there will be a lot of work to do in protecting the CPU from burning. And, you may still run into memory constraints at certain FSB speeds.

-Is it worth it for the applications that you run? If you run tame stuff like general office applications, you probably won't notice that much of a difference. Maybe for Photoshop or graphically intensive apps, maybe, but your video card is not one that is usually the type used by gamers.

-Is it worth it in light of stability? Personally, I want no surprises when I boot up the system. You'd be introducing an uncertainty that would always have to be taken into account everytime you introduced a new piece of hardware or changed out a driver. Most certainly you'd never want your cooling solution to faulter.

-It is a lot to think about, and a lot of work. As several have pointed out, a new CPU is a very reasonable investment if all you really wanted is speed.

Quote:

As cheap as processors are, why don't you just buy a new CPU?

Yep, buy the fastest one there is / you can afford, and then overclock the heck out of it !!

H.

I would unlock and overclock only if you can afford to buy a new chip if you burn the old one out. FSB is ok, BUT you are stressing you other cards in the process, it's better to unlock the multiplier.

Quote:

Yep, buy the fastest one there is / you can afford, and then overclock the heck out of it !!

H.
& don't forget plenty of cooling - I'd love to up my FSB, but not until I manage to get my CPU temp down a bit though.