Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

User groups and account types in XP

Hello.

How do I define Custom User groups like in Windows 2000 via Control Panel | User Accounts | and there was some Advance tabs so I was able to create new users, create new user groups with custom privileges and so on.

In Windows XP there's just two types of User accounts by default: Computer administrator (which have too much privileges for some users) and Limited user account (which have too little privileges...)

And how do I create a FTP user account? I don't want to be shown in Welcome screen and so on. If I set "Can not logon locally" in gpedit.msc, I can't logon via FTP too, from any computer inside and outside my network...

Thanks for help,

Run lusrmgr.msc to create and edit users and groups.

TweakUI allows you to select which users show up on the welcome screen. Also, you can turn off the welcome screen using the User Accounts applet in control panel, causing you to log in like Windows 2000.

Wow, thanks Davros... And where do I set the permissions for selected User Group or for an User?

You set the permissions on the actual files, folders and printers. Right click the file, folder or printer, select properties, then select the security tab. There you can change what groups and accounts have access, and what permissions they each have. If no permission is specified, it means no access is granted. If the permissions check boxes are greyed out, that means the permissions are inherited from the parent folder. To undo that, click the Advanced button and uncheck inherit.

If you don't see the security tab, you need to disable simple file sharing (an XP thing). To do this, open a Windows Explorer window (like My Computer), click Tools, then select folder options, then click the view tab. Scroll down to the last item (Use Simple File Sharing) and uncheck it.

p.s. I just noticed we both have 86 posts, laugh

Hi!

Thanks for the answer... smile

About the posts - hehe I noticed that we had the same number of posts too... But now it is all different smile

Somehow I know how the permissions for some files of folders can be changed but is it the same for system folders? I mean - If you are logged in as Limited user, you can't Install the programs because you do not have permissions to write/change 'System32' and 'Program Files' and of course some other folders... So if I insert 'Users' group under Write permissions for those folders then Limited user will be able to Install new programs?

Thanks again.