Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Hardware for Networking

I want to set up my home network. Right now im just using a basic hub that sucks, and I want to improve it. I was woundering about:

Routers

Switches

Hubs

Gateways

I was just woundering the full potential of each, and what the disadvantages/advantages of each, or the differences. This way i know which to get for my home network. I have three computers, one laser printer i would like to share, and a scanner. Also be able to see another computer in my network to share files.(with the hub i have now i cant do that).

Thanx,

Masterfinn

Hubs and Switches basically perform the same function - they provide the basic link between computers on a local network. The difference is that a 100Mbps hub can only have 100Mbps of total traffic passing through it at any time. On the other hand, a 100Mbps switch can have a full 100Mbps on EACH port, which makes for a more efficient network. This is because hubs broadcast all traffic to every port, so everyone is always sharing throughput. A switch "routes" the traffic to only the port that the destination is on, so it is able to give everyone their own 100Mbps link. And on a security note, packet sniffers don't work very well on a switched network, because any computer should only see it's own traffic, whereas the hub's broadcasting lets a packet sniffer pick up ALL traffic on the LAN.

Routers and Gateways are used as intermediaries between two different networks. This may be a link between a LAN and the Internet, or a link between different parts of the Internet, or whatever. I can't think of a good way to distinguish between routers and gateways though, because they are basically the same thing.

Gateways provied an interface between different network architectures. For example they can connect an ethernet network to a token ring network. It's like a translator.

Quote:

Gateways provied an interface between different network architectures. For example they can connect an ethernet network to a token ring network. It's like a translator.

...while a router is used to distinguish between different segments of a similar network protocol (IP, IPX come to mind). Most of the time, when you see a device at Best Buy or some other electronics store listed as a "gateway", it's actually a router with NAT functionality. A traditional gateway is more inline with Davros's definition; it can connect dissimilar network topologies as well as (my memory is a bit fuzzy on this) dissimilar protocols.

OK OK So a routher/gateway connects all sorts of networks together, and those networks are made up of say a bunch of computers hooked up using switchs or hubs right??.......So whats the difference then in say hooking three computers to a switch connected to the internet, or haveing those three computers hooked to a router/gateway connected to the net? what would be more ideal for my home network with my three computers, printer, and scanner?

Thanx,

Masterfinn

OK, lets get back to basics here - you say your hub "sucks" - why? You also say:

Quote:
Also be able to see another computer in my network to share files.(with the hub i have now i cant do that).

This seems to suggest that there are problems with the way your network is set up - file sharing is nothing to do with the hub, it's part of the operating system, and upgrading the hub to a switch won't help that at all.

If you have 3 PCs on your network, at 100Mbps even at max throughput for each PC, that's still 33Mbps per PC (remember that an ADSL connection only works at 512Kbps or 1Mbps, and a modem operates at 56Kbps) - which is more than enough capacity. (OK, I know this is overly simplistic, but I am trying to keep this easy on the brain :))

Upgrading to a switch will mean that each PC will connect at 100Mbps (or 200Mbps if you get a switch capable of full duplex operation) - but if all you're doing is sharing files and printers, most of that capacity will be wasted and sitting idle.

In terms of a router, there is nothing to stop you using one of your PCs as a gateway for Internet connection - it's cheaper than buying a router, the only problem being that you'd have to leave the PC on all the time and make sure you are properly firewalled. You don't have to worry so much with a router, but they are more expensive and more complicated to set up properly.

I think you need to go back and take a look at the way your network is set up, because if it's set up properly you shouldn't be experiencing speed problems with only 3 PCs connected.

Rgds

AndyF

Ok ya,

My first configuration for my home network was:

- all three computers connected to the hub which was then connected to the internet. With this i couldnt share files, or printers, etc.. so i changed it to waht i have now.. which is:

- two computers hoooked into the hub which is then hooked to the third computer which is also connected to the net. With this way i can share files, and printers and stuff, and is working great, but i just have to keep that one computer on all the time, and i dotn think its securely firewalled.( i just have a norton firewall program protecting it).

I was just woundering about Routers and Switchs to see if there was a way i could set up my network a better or more efficient way.

So with a router i could have all three computers connected to it which is then connected to the net, and i could also share files etc right?. But i know with a hub if i try to connect all three computers to it then out to the net, sure i can get internet access on all three, but i wouldnt be able to share files, etc.... which was were i had promlems with my first configuration.

I know routers are expencive, and it looks like if i do want to change how i have my set up i ll have to get one. But i dont know what im going to do right now. Thats why i posted this post, cause i wanted to see the differance and stuff of all those networking gear out there. I might end up jsut keeping it the way i have it now, but.... like i say i dont know yet.

Masterfinn