Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ajm786

Network/workgroup logon??

Ok. I know this is not a hardware question, but the Network section of this forum seems to be a little dormant.

Here is the problem I am having.

Let's say there are two computers, Computer A and Computer, both loaded with Win2k.

A network is set up on both of these computers, and both are included in a Windows workgroup.

Let's say now I am on Computer A. I try to access Computer B from Network Places, and when I try to, a small dialog pops up that states:

Enter Network Password

Connect as:

Password:

Now I know you can do this on Win2k. How do I enable this option on my home network, which has WinXP? Everytime I access another computer on the network, the connection goes right through without asking me for a password, etc.

Thanks.

Dead or not, please post in the appropriate forum, ok? As for your issue, I thought there was some sort of policy option that could be set to disable default Guest account authentication. Basically, if your PC isn't in the right workgroup/domain, it tries to authenticate with the guest account. Do a search on this here, as it might give you a start in the right direction (or the people that know it might post the answer).

In XP, if you are not in a Domain, incoming connections are forced to use the Guest account by default. To change this behavior to the Win2k way of having the same account on each computer:

type secpol.msc in the Run box.

In the left pane, select "Local Policies"-->"Security Options."

In the right pane, find "Network access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts." Double click on it.

Change it to Classic.

p.s. I think this should be added to the faq for XP, this question comes up almost once a week.

So by changing that option, will I get the dialogue that asks for a passwords when I am trying to access my computer from another terminal?

I don't know, I only use domains and haven't had this issue.

If both computers are in the same workgroup, and you have set up identical user accounts with the same passwords in each, then you will not get a password box, it will connect seamlessly.

If you want the password box to come up, then make sure that computer B (same as in your 1st post) does not have a user account matching the one you use when logging on to computer A. The password box will pop up when you try to access resources on computer A, and you have to use a valid username and password that exists on computer B.

If this isn't clear, I can explain it at an easier level. wink

Yes. I sort of get what you are saying.

But that is still confusing.

For example, at my work, two computers are both set up for administrator accounts, with a different password for each. The password dialogue comes up. If I set up two different computers in WinXP with different accounts/passwords, the dialogue does not come up.

Thanks.