Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

Which Chipset 845G or 850E?

Buying a new MB with a 2.26 GHZ P4.

Just need to know which MB would be best. ABIT BG7 - which has the 845G chipset or the ASUS P4T533-C which uses Rambus?

Cost isnt an issue but Im level headed enough not to want to spend double counting the PC1066 RAM

If you've already got the DDR, go with the 845G--one less thing to buy. RDRAM ain't nearly as expensive as it used to be, keep that in mind too. The Asus would be very good as well if you went the RDRAM route.

Saw a review at Tom's hardware that showed the 845G keeping pace with the 850E, and the PC1066 arent cheap. Best I could find was $139 for 256 MB chips.

Found a place with Samsung PC 1066 in stock at a reasonable price.

Hope all works out well

Too many reservations about the ABIT board. Im kinda sweet on ASUS for stability

Cannot source any PC1066 RDRAM over here in the UK and that's really annoying frown

Thankfully my old PC800 RDRAM modules are more than capable of being over-clocked to those specifications.

My next upgrade is also going to be to a 2.26Ghz P4 Northwood B.

However I'm plugging this into my ASUS P4T-E (I850) based board.

With a 133Mhz FSB my AGP/PCI cards are back into specification due to the dividers.

the I850 chipset is more than capable of doing 133Mhz stable and my Samsung RDRAM is too.

So my next upgrade will be a CPU only which is all rather rare in today's age.

why buy p4 2.26?

such a waste in $$$. Although these are teh chips with teh new 133 x 4 FSB so 533.

me, iam an overclocker:

Candian prices form one place

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.2-GHz 512k (Socket 478) (OEM) w/ Heat Sink & Fan $679.99

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.4-GHz 512k (Socket 478) (OEM) w/ Heat Sink & Fan $899.99

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.4-GHz @ 533Mhz w/ 512k (Socket 478) (OEM) w/ Heat Sink & Fan $924.99

Personally, i would save that $300, buy a p4 2.2 and over clock it the 400 +mhz to 2.6 myself, and have it run stable with a good fan. Put the 2.2 in a 533 board, with some nice DDR, anbd BAM! your all set smile

Spend that $300 on more memory smile (no more then 512, as new tests have shown that more then 512 can actually decrese system performance, unless using rambus)

BUT if money is not a quesiton, go nuts!

The p4 2.26 was only $240 and the lowest that runs at 533 FSB so I go that one. I think thats a pretty reasonable price for a retail CPU.

Don't know what the conversion rates are, but those look awfully like pre-Intel price cut prices.

I've sourced the retail 2.26 (533) here in the UK for £225.75inc VAT

The 2.2 Northwood A is the same price, so I'll take the 533 FSB please.

I'm not an overclocker, I might as well had the 133(533)Mhz FSB (Which most overclockers go up to) and have the 2.2Ghz (Which is a figure a lot of the overclockers aim for) by default and fully within CPU tollerance.