Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
areid

CD-RW problems

I am having trouble using my CD-RW on a laptop with XP Pro installed. Read-write CDs which have been recorded on another (W2K) machine using Nero 5.5 can be read on my XP machine, but all files have readonly attributes, and I cannot delete files or write to the disks! XP invites me to erase the disk, which will also reformat the disk so that XP can read and write to it.

This is a pain, as I want CDs written to on one machine to be readable and writable on another machine. Does XP use a different format from Nero? If so, which is better? Is it ok to install Nero 5.5 on my XP machine, and if so, will it automatically 'override' the XP format?

Any opinions will be appreciated. I would be surprised if no-one else has has this problem.

Many thanks,

Alan Harris-Reid

XP does not have native OS support tho treat the CDRW like a floppy. Once it is written too you have to format the disk to erase the data.

You can install NERO, just make sure you have the latest patches for it

You should download InCD from Nero. Essentially, it will run in the background and make your CD act like a floppy. Two provisos. It defaults to UDF format so another computer will need a UDF reader to see the files. On some VIA chipsets InCD will not run.

All respondents....

I've now installed Nero and it's running a treat - many thanks.

Alan