Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
areid

Application error - pctspk.exe

When I boot-up my laptop (running XP pro) I get the following message just after the desktop icons are displayed... "pctvoice MFC Application". I am then invited to send an error report to MSFT. The error occurs on cold-boot only, not warm-boot. I can close the window with no apparent problems, but it would be nice to get rid of it permanently

Upon further investigation it appears the program in question is pctspk.exe, which I think is connected with the sound/speaker controller. I've checked-out the registry and found an entry under mycomputer\hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run, Name:pctvoice Type:REG_SZ Data:pctspk.exe. What does this program do? What would happen if I stopped this program running on boot-up? If it's ok to do so, how do I do it?

Does XP pro have a service pack yet? If so, could it solve my problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan Harris-Reid

I dont know what this program does, it sounds like its a Voice application of some kind. I don't think it is native to windows though. It should not be a problem for you to kill it out of the run section.

The program PCTVoice is used by the modem to interface with your computer and also used for some V.80 functions for Video Conferencing. Not required in startup

See if there is a file on your hard disk called xpctspk.exe then change your registry to hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows current version\run xpctspk.exe. It seems to have installed the ME version.

Sampson, thanks for the reply.

>See if there is a file on your hard disk called xpctspk.exe then change your registry to hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows current version\run xpctspk.exe. It seems to have installed the ME version.<

Just had a look, unfortunately no xpctspk.exe exists.

Regards,

Alan

You can use msconfig and tell it not to run at bootup. It is only a nicety for Video Conferencing.

Sampson,

>You can use msconfig and tell it not to run at bootup. It is only a nicety for Video Conferencing.<

In that case, it's going. Thanks for the advice.

Alan

Quote:
The program PCTVoice is used by the modem to interface with your computer and also used for some V.80 functions for Video Conferencing. Not required in startup

I found this post searching for info on pctspk.exe. I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 running XP home edition. Apparently pctspk.exe also allows you to receive incoming calls when you sign on with a phone modem and allow call waiting (i.e., don't disable it with *70). Then when you're online, a dialogue box pops up when you have an incoming call and lets you either accept it or ignore it. The only reason I found this out was because a Dell tech rep had me disable all of my startup files in msconfig and that feature stopped working. I then had to go through and reenable all the files in the startup one by one until I found which file activated the incoming call dialogue box. I've seen messages that this file is a CPU hog, but for me it's a nice feature to have since we don't have two phone lines and I can take calls without seriously interrupting my online activity and I don't have to install a 3rd party product to get my calls. My husband's new Dell desktop didn't come with this file so he can't use that particular feature of it. The guy at Dell thought it was a Dell-installed-modem file unique to the modem that came with my laptop. I personally don't know, but I like the feature.