Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

MB beeps on startup when HD's start

When I boot my Epox EP8-KTA MB with 2 Maxtor HD's when the drives start, there are 2 beeps together as a DTMF touch tone keypad sounds. This has started recently.

The only thing that I can see is the drives are having trouble starting or some conflict when they both start at the same time. Usually one drives starts, then the other. But now many times they seem to start at the same time or nearly the same time.

The only hardware change is a memory upgrade to 2 256 sticks of PC133 SDRAM.

I'm running 2k w/sp2. VIA chipset and AMD 700 T-bird

I went through the manual but could find no beep codes. The reason I mentioned the power supply is that you had recently installed more memory which means that there will be a further draw on the power.

Other than the beeps, does the machine do anything unusual?

No.......

The memory uses a different voltage bus than the drives so that shouldn't have any effect.

The way the beeps are seems not to follow any code reference.

Does it work without the memory?

Whether it uses a different voltage bus or not the source is still the PSU.

No, obviously with memory....i mean without the new memory.

There is another thread on this topic somewhere, but I will be damned if I can find it. I thought I bookmarked it but I guess I didn't. The person seems to be having the same trouble and it is with Maxtor HD's.

Most seem to think it is a P.S. issue, but it only started recently and that was after the memory upgrade, though I still wonder what the memory has to do with the drives starting up.

The drives ARE reconized in ther bios and D.M. ok.

By the way, the problem also happens when the drives go to sleep once the O/S is up and running. I have the drives spin down after 10 min.