Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Updating Norton Antivirus subscription on two PC's

Our Norton's AntiVirus 2000 ver. 6.0 Live Update virus definition download subscription expired. We went to Symantec's site and successfully purchased and updated our subscription, processing the information through our 1st PC. Here's our problem; we can't figure out how to transfer the updated subscription info to our 2nd PC so we can run Live Update from that PC as well. Norton's FAQ section has nothing on this subject and, of course, you can't speak to a live person to determine how to do it. Any and all help appreciated.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

I suspect it's one subscription fee, one PC. To update the other you'll need to purchae another subscription for it.

As Bursay says, there is a very good reason why something like that is not in Symantec's FAQ.

One copy of Norton Antivirus per PC.

One anti-virus definition update subscription per a PC.

You'll now need to purchase another year's worth of updates for your other PC.

I thought they stopped that for the 'home' versions of their software specifically to stop people from getting updates when they're not entitled to them.

When you attempt to download and install the definitions manually it now checks for an up to date subscription.

If you don't have one, then they refuse to install.

This doesn't of course affect the Corporate Edition as this is licensed on paper rather than electronically.

It was crazy them offering the downloads manually and then expecting people to be honest and actually buy a new subscription, so to counter that problem they added the checking system.

ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus_corp

I don't consider Antivirus Definitions to be payed for and neither does Symantec it seems. smile

As I said in the post above, if you are running the Corporate Edition of Norton antivirus then the update files do NOT check your system for a valid subscription.

A valid subscription for the corporate edition is a paper subscription and not something the instaler can check.

However, if you attempt to install the updates on Norton AV2000, 2001, 2002 etc then the installer will check for a valid subscription.

If it fails to find one then it will NOT install the updated definitions.

This link should make these points clear:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/iu.notification.page.html

Symantec are NOT charging for the actual update files, they are charging a subscription for twelve months of updates.

You make a one of payment at the beginning of the year, this updates your subscription status and will allow you to use Live Update or to manually install the downloaded files.

Blade Runner.........

Silly me to assume, since I can install NAV2000 v. 6.0 on both of my machines without having to pay for the program twice, that I should be able to install the definition updates on both machines without paying for the same information twice. Oh well, $10.00 isn't going to break the bank.

Why in the world do you have to pay for updates? McAfee doesn't charge for them, and I don't think other AV companies do either. I'll have to check that FTP link just for the hell of it.

Clutch.......

I'd be more than happy to use an antivirus package that is 1) an industry standard, 2) does a good-to-excellent job of protecting my equipment, 3) doesn't screw my system up in some way or another AND 4) doesn't charge for updates.......haven't found one. The only AV program I've come across that "seems" (per reviews I've read) to fulfill 1 out of 4 (protection) is NOD32 out of Australia. It isn't, unfortunately, an industry standard which leaves me a bit nervous about ongoing support. I've been on the bleeding edge before.........and didn't like it.

As for McAfee Products in general, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them as have my friends. I simply won't install, even for a test, any McAfee products on mission critical machines. Once burned......Oh well, it happens. Twice burned.......Everyone is due a second chance. Three times burned......."You asked for it!"

Wild, since I have had nothing but problems with anything from Norton/Symantec, and I use McAfee 4.5.1 corp with ePolicy Orchestrator to manage my stations. It all works great here.

Clutch.......

Guess I should check into the "corp" version of their software. My guess is, as a "small" business owner vs. a corporation, the cost will be prohibitive. Nonetheless, relative to MCAfee's retail products, my experience(s) indicate the best way to use them is to suggest them to people you don't like.

You only actually pay for your Norton updates once your first year of free updates run out.

When you buy a retail copy of NAV you get 12 months of updates.

After this time you can either:

1. Upgrade to the newest version of NAV, IE from NAV2001 to NAV2002 and this gives you another 12 months of updates.

2. Pay I believe it's $10 for another 12 months worth of updates.

But there, NAV has caught every single virus it's had thrown at it so it's an extremely small price to pay for complete and utter protection.

Ever since the McAfee fiasco when Win2k was first released, that being a 10x slow down opening things like "My Computer" & "Control Panel" and the only fix being to "Disable E-Mail scanning" I will not go back to them again.

Once stung and all that, not that I can comment on the latest versions, I'm sure they are absolutely fine, but wont chance it.

I'm sure everyone will be happy to know that the latest rumour is that Mcaffee is coming back to MS OS's in the next major ver of MS OS...After XP.

I've noticed that when I uninstall and then reinstall NAV, the subscription countdown resets to 1 year. But this goes against the EULA.

Quote:

Clutch.......

Guess I should check into the "corp" version of their software. My guess is, as a "small" business owner vs. a corporation, the cost will be prohibitive. Nonetheless, relative to MCAfee's retail products, my experience(s) indicate the best way to use them is to suggest them to people you don't like.

The cost is actually pretty low, and you can pick for a couple of different packages (we use Active Virus Defense) which includes Netshield for servers and Exchange/Lotus server virus scanners. Ours wound up running about $25US per station from what I remember, and while we like using the subscription method (so I can get all the newest versions and get cheaper licensing for more stations) you can still get DAT and SuperDAT file updates for free regardless of the tenure of ownership. The only limiting factor is that they eventually phase out support for older versions in their SuperDATs, but that's to be expected.

As for performance, the virus catching ability has been on par with other systems and the only problem I had was when they changed the engine format in one DAT file and the older versions that I had running took a nose dive. Once I got the right SuperDAT and pushed it with SMS, it was fixed. I currently manage networks running it with NT4, Win2K, and WinXP Pro.

Clutch........

As mentioned earlier, we're a small business running on two PCs (connected by a LinkSys Router). Please correct me if I am wrong, but unless I'm missing something here, the (trumpets blaring) "CORPORATE VERSION" would seem to be a bit overkill for our two-piece LAN.

Quote:

Blade Runner.........

Silly me to assume, since I can install NAV2000 v. 6.0 on both of my machines without having to pay for the program twice, that I should be able to install the definition updates on both machines without paying for the same information twice. Oh well, .00 isn't going to break the bank.

Really? I'm sure that goes against the license agreement. I'd be very surprised if it says that one copy of the software can be installed onto multiple computers.

I've just tried to look for license for my copy of SystemWorks 2002, but can't find it. I guess it must be electronic and you have to agree to it to install the software.

Just because you can install software onto more than one PC at a time, that doesn't mean that it is legal to do it.

Quote:

Clutch........

As mentioned earlier, we're a small business running on two PCs (connected by a LinkSys Router). Please correct me if I am wrong, but unless I'm missing something here, the (trumpets blaring) "CORPORATE VERSION" would seem to be a bit overkill for our two-piece LAN.

OK, (loudspeakers set to MAX) "CORPORATE VERSION" in this scenario can be had for as little as a 5-license pack (maybe 3, I can't remember for sure) and it comes with server licensing for future expansion. So, unless you plan on staying at 2 seats forever and have "ZERO" chance for other systems that may come and go, it isn't such a bad idea. Plus, it meets your other criteria as listed before. But, then again, it is merely a suggestion. I don't care for any of the virus scanners on the market in consumer trim because they all have too much garbage on the interface.

Since you have bought a new virus subscription on one of ur PCs try this (on the computer with the recent virus definitions):

goto X:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

where X: is where you installed Win2k

copy the contents of \VirusDefs into

X:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

of your other computer. This should update ur virus definitions on both PCs without downloading the definitions twice.