Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
El_Mono

LAN computers with diff internet ips = slow transfer

If anyone that can explain this to me and how to fix it, I'd be greatly appreciative. 2 computers, each are connected to a cable modem through a LinkSys 5 port switch. Cablemodem has DHCP server, which gives up to 3 internet ip's. Both computers are Win2k, and are using the DHCP generated IP. (I can't add another TCP/IP protocal like in win98 with an internal ip). Sending files from one computer to the other, sometimes goes fast (100mbit) but usually goes slow (40kbytes). I know what the problem is, and that is that the data is getting sent out of one computer on to the RR WAN (bottleneck the upstream cap on my modem), and back down. Is there any way to force the 2 Win2k systesm to utilize the LAN ? I've seen many heated discussions about not enabling NetBUI as I'd like to stay with TCP/IP. But my limited networking knowledge has caused me to sit here perplexed.confused

Any info you network gods can pass my way would be greatly appreciated.

You know its funny, as I type this transfering an assload of files, I was averaging 40kbytes. I hit submit, and it jumps up to 700kbytes. Still not the 100mbit it should be, but hella lot better. Why is it never consistent ?

And back to 40k .. bleh

First of all, you can have multiple IP addreses for a single NIC.

On W2k Go to your Local area connection properties. You can reach it by right clicking My Network places and choosing appropriate connection. Or through the control panel as always.

Highlight TCP/IP and choose properties.

You will see an advanced button on the lower right. Click on it.

on the IP addresses i suggest you enter an internal IP with appropriate subnet (ie. 192.168.0.1 SM: 255.255.255.0) and a second IP for your router. I am presuming your IP's are static of course.

Finally enter your Router's IP as gateway. You may wish to enter your ISP's DNS servers on dns tab. (DNS: Domain Name Server )

Do the same on your other Comp and you are set. of course you should not give the same internal IP to your other Comp smile

If your IP's are dynamic, Then I suggest you define one of the machines as Gateway and let the other pick the connection through that one.

I hope it helps.

Let me know what happened....

I've tried this in the past, unfortunately with DHCP enabled, I can not assign an ip AND get the one from the cable co. I'm not using a router, just a switch, so I really can't assign an ip to that frown. Thanks for the quick response though .. I appreciate the effort.

Why don't you stop using DHCP? I take it your 3 IP's are static. so there is absolutely no reason to use DHCP that i can think of. There are just 2 PC's. They are not gonna get to each others throat about IP allocation.

If you are using a 3rd. Like a NB which regularly plugs in you can set it to use dynamic.

Well Ithink anyway.