Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

c drive scheduled for chkdsk almost every reboot

I try to run diskeeper 90% of the time, it says chkdsk is scheduled to run on the drive. I reboot and let chkdsk do its work and it reboots again and im back in windows.

I try to run diskeeper again, and it says chkdsk is scheduled to run on the drive. I reboot and let chkdsk do its work and it reboots again and im back in windows.

I try to run di... ok get it?

Furthermore, there's something mysterious going on with the system32 dir; it's only 49MB big (408 files)!

And the dllcache (I just type \dllcache after c:winnt\system32 in the adress bar, then I dont have to disable hiding files) lots of files here and there are not compressed (blue). There is 1260 files taking up 158MB there, is this normal?

And theres a file with only an "empty square" in the \winnt dir

I tried delete it, then the \winnt\temp dir got deleted instead! I restored Temp from recycle bin and could now delete the "square file" without affecting the Temp folder.

Whats going on here? I don't wanto do a reformat, and what if it happens again because of something I install?

Update:

I've already ran a complete "repair" process with the Win2k CD.

System:

Win2k Service Pack 2 (I've never installed SP2, I guess windows update did that )

Abit BE6

P3-450@504

128MB Ram (I had a 128MB faulty ram once, but this one tests OK)

Logitech Wheel mouse optical with mouseware 9.41 or .60

Are you on NTFS or Fat? and what is the role of this machine?

PC, Web/print server???

If Fat Converting to NTFS would solve most of it. That file you mentioned with []. It is a temp file which was left behind because of a messed up this or that, don't worry too much about it.

There is a minimum amount of space each file takes up on your drive no matter if they are empty or not. My system32 Directory is 610MB But i do not regularly check the size of it, and dunno who does. unless it is zero, which in that case you can't boot anyway, why worry.

Also is it possible you choose the option to scan your drive at every reboot? or did you suffer any bad crashes or power failures lately? Your Hdd might actually be damaged, and windows trying to keep it going. Are there any bad Clusters etc?

It's a personal machine, my brothers to be exact. It's NTFS. When I go list files in system32, it seems all files after "e" is gone, and in dllcache\ the file listing stops at "o" (though there is a file named aaaamon.dll that is listed last, but it's first name _is_ "a")

I did not choose any option to scan the C drive at every boot, and it doesnt happen every time.

Yes, with C it's 4KB in each allocation unit, and there is no bad sectors. There has been a faulty RAM module in the machine, but it was exchanged a while ago.

I can't understand it, and why windows can even boot when there is no files after "e" in the system32 dir confused

No, I'm about to install SP2, we'll see how that fares.