Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dmann05

bluescreen/lockup installing XP on athlon xp2000+ and asus a

OK, I am totally puzzled by this. I am attempting to install Windows XP Pro on a system I built yesterday:

Athlon xp2000+

ASUS A7V333 (no raid)

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF (with Arctic Silver III)

1xSamsung 256mb pc2700 ddr

Gainward GF4 4200 64mb

IBM 30gb hd (primary master)

WD 120gb hd (primary slave)

Plextor 12/10/32 CDR (2ndary master)

Generic DVDROM (2ndary slave)

SB Live Platinum 5.1 (with Livedrive)

3com 10/100 ethernet

I boot from the WinXP cd, it starts setup and loads the drivers. Sometimes it crashes during this process and I get this:

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen error message

Other times it gets through the driver loading and freezes while "Starting Windows Setup" or whatever it says before you get to pick your partitions, format, etc.

I tried installing Windows 2000 Pro at one point and it froze at the same point.

Any ideas?

That would be my suggestion as well, even going as far as putting in a cheapy pci video card if the AGP card doesn't make it through the install. If you do make it, install all the packs and updates, then install the cards 1 by 1.

i had that problem the other week with my msi kt7 ultra aru, xp 2000+. The ddr memory i bought was corrupt (cak, rubbish) whatever ya wanna call it. Tried it in three diff boxes and failed to install xp pro and w2k every time, blue screening and then failing to install files. Just got some crucial ddr and everything is fine now. Gotta take my 3 x 256 ddr back to computer fair tommorrow c if theyll give me a refund.............i doubt it very much though frown