Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Computer Locks when defragging files

Well I know its due to defrag, because i have my system set to do it everyday from 4AM-8AM, and when i go to bed system works when i get up the HD light is on, and my system froze. Anyway the solution Im looking for to this problem is as follows:

Im looking to find out which file or file(s) are causing this problem. I have a LOT of music on the drive(s) and most of the files are big (100mb+), it used to not do this before now it is doing it again. I dont know which drive is doing it, or which partition is doing it. I have used Diskeeper and Perfect Disk, and both do it.

My Free Space is as follows:

C: 8.61gb out of 20g

D: 24.7gb out of 60gb

e: 22.3gb out of 30gb

F: 13.9gb out of 30gb

C,E,F are all on my WD 80gb and D is on my WD 60gb.

I believe it just started doing this yesterday, and happened today as well.

Why don't you check your drives for errors one at a time (or rather defrag them one at a time), and see which one it locks up on?

Do you have the latest motherboard bios, Win XP Sp1, and the latest disk controller drivers? Are there any drive quality updates for your drives? Did you run Western Digital's disk diagnostic on those drives?

Do you have the drives plugged in correctly? Is the second drive bootable? (Win98 used to have problems with a slave drive being bootable. Hopefully they've fixed this. Course XP is NT based.) IBM has some great troubleshooting documents on their website: http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/rma/chkata.htm. I know you have Western Digital Drives, but their recommendations should apply 99% of the time.

Good Luck

It looks like a power saving conflict as Christianb suggested but if it is not, then my vote is for a faulty drive. They do that sometimes...

It is not a plugging problem since if it was they would crash during the usage as well.

if you are using the WD hdd as master with slave, sometimes the jumpers don't seem to work. fi windows xp is installed on it sometimes it may give you boot failre. if the problem is with your WD try putting the drive on its own as a master with no jumpers on it. it whould solve the boot failure problem! try to see if that helps to solve your problem too. smile

i never liked WD anyways. i even prefer SAMSUNG over WD.