Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markp888

SupraExpress 56e Pro keeps disappearing!

Strange problem - hope someone can help!

Using Win2k Pro service pack 2. Successfully installed my Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro external modem using latest Diamond drivers from their official website.

Modem works fine but disappears on re-boot. Doesn't appear in Device Manager / System list after re-boot... If I progress through the "add/troubleshoot (?) new hardware wizard" Windows searches for a few seconds then brings up a list of devices, including my SupraExpress modem. If I click on this, then click "finish" everything is back to normal and the modem works again.. until the next re-boot...

System is:

XP1800+

Jetway V266 Motherboard (the one that takes DDR or SD Ram)

256mb DDR

Geforce 4 MX440

Sorry if I've missed any key info from this post.

Thanks ina advance...

Mark

Since it is an external modem, is it USB or just connect to a serial port. If it is a regular serial port, is that port assigned just as a serial port? Did you assign it specifically for the modem?

It's connecting to a COM port, it's not a USB modem. I don't remember manually setting / assigning anything to do with COM ports as part of the install. Does it sound like I've missed a step out?

Can you advise me on a simple check I can make to ensure the COM port assignments are OK?

Thanks

Mark

Once your modem is installed so that it is recognized. Go to the device manager and look at ports. Ususally it will say Com1, Com2, and if you have internal modems - depending on their assignmemnt Com3, Com4, etc. You want to look at Properties. Your external modem should be assigned to one or the other of them. Depending on whether your mouse is PC/2 or Serial - it will be assigned. Just not the memory/drivers, etc. This should tell you if two devices are trying to use the same port.

This is a problem on W2k with external devices.

They need to be powered up when you reboot. If you forget for some reason, go to device manager and just do a scan for HW Changes. Or just reboot if this sounds too complicated (modem powered up this time)

There is absolutely nothing dodgy about your com ports etc. if you have installed it in the first place and used it at least once.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try your suggestions out tonight and report back if I need further help.

Cheers

Mark

Making sure the modem is powered on before booting the PC works every time!

Thanks for the help.

Mark