Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Master

Geforce4 4200 vs 4600 - Interesting Results

I decided to replace the ATi Radeon 8500 that came with my system with a Visiontek GF4 4200.

Went to their site to run the Mad Onion test against the 4600 - the percent difference? 3%. Not bad! Especially at a difference of $200!:D

WTF?! You comparing a similar CPU and stuff? Are you overclocking that thing? Seems awfly high for the budget GF4 Ti...no offense...

Three percent isn't an accurate average figure for the difference. Performance differences between the 4200 and 4600 vary depending on many factors.

However, there is a solid fact: The 4200 packs much more performance per dollar than the 4600.

For more detailed info on the difference in performance of the 4200 and 4600, try reading this and notice the differences stats for different games (keep in mind the red bars are overclocked stats). Also, take a peek here for info on how the 4200 compares with other sub $200 cards, with graphs showing performances on a variety of CPU speeds.

Quote:
For more detailed info on the difference in performance of the 4200 and 4600, try reading this and notice the differences stats for different games (keep in mind the red bars are overclocked stats). Also, take a peek here for info on how the 4200 compares with other sub 0 cards, with graphs showing performances on a variety of CPU speeds.

Some very nice benchmark tests on there

Quote:

However, there is a solid fact: The 4200 packs much more performance per dollar than the 4600.

Especially if you O/C it to near 4600 spec.

Very little seperates the various classes of nVidia graphics chipsets these days other than clock speeds and RAM configuration. Gainward in particular exploit this fact with their Golden Sample range of cards.

Got my GF4420 to above 460 specs (UK names for GF4 stuff I think)

The following is stable with Riva Tuner and adding a GOOD fan to the GPU

GPU Clock (250MHz - > 315MHz)

MEM Clock (166MHz - > 185MHz) (MDLL 333Mhz -> MDLL 370Mhz)

I can't really push the memory any higher, but I have a cooling system that was used in an IBM4381 mainframe that cools to -10C. Yep that is minus. Goin' to OverClock the world and see if this baby helps. It has small plastic packs that look like the "GelPacks" in StarTrek Voyager. Maybe I should patent my use of them!

got ma 4600, but have not o/c'd it cause i can not buy an proper colling here in Antigua, and it seems to do just fine how it is laugh