Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

P4 System??

I am wanting to build a Pentium 4 system, but need people's opinions for I am used to Pentium 3 systems. Any feedback would be appreciated!

-Damon

Pick your memory sub-system (DDR or RDRAM), and then work from there.

In addition to the RAM, also consider what features you want on the motherboard. I've got some parts coming in (one package today) for a P4 box, and I went with a fairly stripped down board, the Iwill P4D which uses the Intel i845D (DDR support, official). The only on-board extra it has is sound. Weather or not that's your bag is up to you. I can say that Asus is also a very good company, although definitely one of the more costly ones to buy from.

Is money is no object then RDRAM.

If money is, then A good DDR board, and if you can find a 1.6A or 1.8A they both are known to overclock to 2.4GHZ

You may want to consider the SiS 645DX based boards like the Asus P4S533, they support DDR333 and are damn fast. Plus they are cheap. They lack some newer features like USB 2.0 or Firewire onboard, but you can easily add these features, if you need them, with an add-in card.

Quote:

You may want to consider the SiS 645DX based boards like the Asus P4S533, they support DDR333 and are damn fast. Plus they are cheap. They lack some newer features like USB 2.0 or Firewire onboard, but you can easily add these features, if you need them, with an add-in card.

My SOYO P4S Dragon Ultra has the SiS 645 (no DX), but it did come with USB 2.0 and ATA133, along with onboard RAID controller. You can get some pretty good deals with these boards, and they're quite fast and stable (though the RDRAM boards do kick a$$).

Personally 1 reason i went intel was so i could get an intel board with an intel CPU (in my case the Abit TH7II-Raid) because i was just fed up of using amd stuff with non-amd boards. At least if you go intel/intel you are pretty much guaranteed that it will work..and it has done smile

Asus P4B533-E, Intel 845E, DDR, 6 PCI, RAID, Firewire, and USB 2.0. There is value, stability, Asus reputation, Intel/Intel combo, how can you go wrong with this?