Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

"Update success" message at bootup

Every once in a while, there seems to be no pattern, I get the "Update success" message at bootup even when there has been no hardware or software changes.

I don't see a pattern to it, it happens about one in every three or four starts.

I have 2k w/SP2 installed.

Have you got the latest WindowsUpdate stuff installed? That has a feature very similar to WinXP where it can download updates in the background without you knowing.

In the Control Panel, you should see an icon for Automtic Updates where you can configure the settings for it.

If it's not that, then I don't know I'm afraid.

If its the 1 i think you mean, its a BIOS message not an OS one. I dont think its anything to worry about but you could try up[censored] your motherboard BIOS.

I think he means the BIOS yes. It's nothing to worry about, however, check your connections just to make sure something isn't getting bumped that is disconnecting a card or cable. I remember once when I had a card in the slot a little loose, so when I hit my power button, I bumped the tower enough to loosen the card, thus Update Success appears.

Yes it is in the Bios.

All my connections are ok as far as I know. Everything shows up in Device Manager each time as far as I know, but I will check each time to be sure.

I don't have auto anything running at startup including Windows update.

I don't have a icon in control panel for Windows auto update by the way.

He is running XP, XP doesn't show any DOS related Updates like Windows 9x/Me does....so it has to be the BIOS he is speaking of.

I'm running 2000, ans again it is a bootup, a DOS screen in the BIOS.

The M/B has the latest BIOS.

Someone else suggested the battery, but the M/B is only 1 1/2 years old.

Update ESCD should only stay 'enabled' for 1 boot. smile

I don't remember when I updated the bios. The date of the bios is 2/02, but I don't remember if it was happening before that update.

What is the address of that site?

BTW the line where the message is is the last line in the boot screens: 'Verifying DMI pool data' if it shows it is after that.

Bruce - it's supposed to do that, just forget about it.

Quote:

Alien's got a point... if your system's working, don't sweat it too much!
Even if it's not working, he still shouldn't be worrying about that particular message [which is which is part of normal operation]. Next he'll be saying that his computer keeps giving a single short warning beep a couple of seconds after he's turned it on! laugh

haha

I don't even have the beep, I disconnected the PC speaker.

Jokes on me laugh