Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Send me your registry patches and tweaks!

I am adding features to a current software project and want to include hardware and software/OS registry patches and tweaks. Please send me any tweaks you have created or links to any registry patches/tweaks for 2000 and XP. Must be .reg files. Thanks in advance. laugh

P.S. Already got the AMD AGP App reg patch from another thread. I will give credit in the app to any reg files that are created by you originally. Please don't send damaging or harmful .regs 8)

Dunno how useful people will find this but this is a little thing I stumbled across:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

"ShellState"=hex:24,00,00,00,33,80,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

01,00,00,00,0d,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

If the file listing in your Open/Save Dialogs gets messed up then this corrects it. I can only be certain that it works under XP but I can't see other versions of Windows being that much different (particularly 2k).

I only have 3 really, & they are able to be set through windows itself or TweakUI, it's just quicker to have them as .reg files. I tell you what would be useful, for both your site & me, is knowing how to add/merge .reg files via the commandline &/or a batch file. I know it would most likely involve calling a DLL, I just don't know which.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alien
I tell you what would be useful, for both your site & me, is knowing how to add/merge .reg files via the commandline &/or a batch file. I know it would most likely involve calling a DLL, I just don't know which.
regedit.exe /s regfile.reg
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGenX Please send me any tweaks you have created or links to any registry patches/tweaks for 2000 and XP.
Have a look here:

http://files.mehnle.net/software/win32/registry-patches

This is my personal collection of Win32 registry patches. I'm going to comment it a bit, but the file names should be fairly self-descriptive.

Quote:

regedit.exe /s regfile.reg
Cheers for that Julian, that puts me 1 step closer to totally automating &/or streamlining the setup & install of XP & the settings I like. smile

Can't you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard thingy to save a copy of the settings you like and then restore them at any point down the track?

Quote:

Can't you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard thingy to save a copy of the settings you like and then restore them at any point down the track?
TBH I haven't tried it. I didn't know you could pick & choose stuff in as much detail as individual registry keys. I think I had a quick look @ it, or read something on it & I seem to remember getting the feeling that it was a bit clumsy & all-encompassing, rather than something that would offer me the precision I want, eg my settings, only my settings, & nothing but my settings. laugh

C: is the only drive that gets affected when I do a reinstall, & I only normally keep Windows itself & my installed progs on C. Everything like My Documents, swap file, my music, images, Favourites, Desktop, all downloaded/stored messages from OE, my OE addressbook, etc, etc are stored on other partitions.

The only things i want to automate really, are the installation of XP itself [which reminds me, I've got a help file from the support tools thingy to read through for settings that can be used in the Unnattended.txt file], my settings for windows stuff [like disabling low space warning & telling it where my folders like My Documents are], & if possible the VIA 4-in-1s, & the drivers for my Radeon & Audigy.

I was going to list my security .reg's but I haven't commented them yet so integrating them into your registry without knowing what they were would have some consequences...even more so than performance tweaks. Sadly I'm waaaayyy too busy currently to do this so I'm gonna bookmark this thread.