Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Hipshot

Search thru .log files...

hi, new member wink

Well, I was to find some cool quotes from all my irc logs, if I make a .bat file and renames them all to .txt I can use the builtin search function to find stuff in them, but if they are still .logs I cant... is there a way to go around this, the logs are plain txt just as the .txt file...

Well thats not what I ment... I know that notepad can open everything, cause its a ascii editor and dosent affect with just opening (im often edit in games and and many games uses files that can be edited with notepad).

What I ment was that if I got a txt file called test.txt and in that file the text...

"product R300 (alias Radeon 9700), ATI is launching a successor to the mainstream 7500 series, which goes by the name Radeon 9000. Apart from a version"

...is writen. Now say that I got like tons of txt files in a folder and I just want this one with this text, (I dont know the name text.txt), then I hit F3 in winXp and seraches *.txt and then in the field 'file contains this text' I write:

mainstream 7500 series

then it seraches thru all the .txt files and finds the one called text.txt with the text "mainstream 7500 series" within it... wink

I hope you understand what I mean, cause I know that my english isnt that good, sweden you know wink

I have nothing useful to contribute at the moment, other than BtVS kicks a$$.

Why rename to .txt?

The search feature in 2k/xp can look in any file.

Just associate .log with notepad for easy editing.

Hmm, I cant recall that it worked when I tried on the .log files... maybe it does, but just not at that moment.. wink

Quote:

A Unix Tool/command that can rip thru files for a particular phrase, & the first tool of its kind for that type of work as far as I know (it's become a "nerd" household-word, like Kleenex applies for paper-tissues, for this type of function like you ask for).

"General Regular Expression Parsing" tool may be what it's name stands for, but don't quote me on that...

The story I heard was that it referred to the key combination that a particular Unix text editor (they weren't sure which one) used to perform a search: g/re/p