Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gryphyn

curiosity w 2k

after doing clean install of W2k what amount of harddrive memory is used to run system?

??

Default Win2k Pro install is around 600+mb

Default 2KSrv/AS is about 50m+ over that.

IIRC, Swap file is 1.5* your memory. So calculate that in too.

the reason I ask is simple when W2k installed Dual boot w/ME(original) nothing worked very well. I decided to scrap ME and install W2k clean. After checking hdrive approx.4.5 gig used of 20.5 gig drive Im trying to find out if some of old files are still in system I have attempted to delete as much as possible but I keep finding old ME files I dont want. I would like to do a complete erase of all files (nothing important yet) how do I do this. installs I have done double file size. I.E. 2adminfiles, 2 gryphyn files etc.

Hmmm, the BEST and surest method to completely remove an old OS is to reformat the drive. To do this simply instert your Windows 2000 CD and when it comes to the Partition setup screen simply delete all partitions and then make new one's. (Be sure that you have backed up all data and that you have downloaded all drivers and updates that you need.)

If you do not wish to do that then it's likely that you are not viewing hidden files.

Double-click My Computer

Go to Tools\Folder Options

Choose the View Tab

Check "Show Hidden files and Folders"

Uncheck all "Hide" checkboxes.

You can now view all hidden files.

Also the best way to search for space-hogging files is to use the Windows 2000 search but do not specify a filename. Simply search the entire drive. Then sort the filesize tab and delete those huge files.

thank you, after following your recs. and after installing some games and software only 2.4g used, now the ghosts of winME will haunt no more,MAY THE BLUEBIRD OF HAPPINESS FLOURISH IN YOUR LIFE! GRYPHYN