Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gryphyn

pci vs agp

I recently found out I dont have an agp slot, and now am finding out not to many pci video cards out there. Is a pci video card going by the wayside for gamers, or should I upgrade mobo to use agp?

AGP was developed because the video cards were sucking up the PCI bus. The solution was to give the video card it's own place. PCI video cards are fine, but they're being held back by the PCI bus. To get the biggest benefit for gaming, a motherboard with an AGP slot would be the most ideal. None of the current top-tier cards use PCI, and the ones that make the transition get choked big time.

You have two options, Nvidia makes a pretty decent PCI video card that can be obtained at many retail locations, as do they makes good motherboards of late. If you are looking for a good, solid, cheap motherboard solution, try Nvidias Nfoce board, the K7Npro from MSI. Minus shipping averages around 126 American, and comes with NIC, Dolby 5.1 audio, 6 USB 1.1 and a GEForce 2 card on a DDR board. Not too shabby. I have two, nuff said.