Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skp

LAN setup problem..

I have a network setup with a hub with a server using ICS. I have used up all the ports on the hub and i still need to add another computer. I have put another nic card inside of the server to act as another port but I am not sure what settings I need to set so that ICS can work with the extra card. I am not even able to see the computer on the local network.

Thanx in advance if you can help..

..the server is setup with 2000 and the extra computer is using 98se..

After much contemplation, and hours of deliberation, we have came up with this highly risky alternative:

Sell the second NIC, and buy a bigger hub :P

There ya have it, end of your problem...

Sell the NIC & Hub...buy a bigger switch. wink

Quote:
I am not even able to see the computer on the local network.

Is it a crossover or straight?

I'm using a crossover cable. The computer connects to the server but I just can't get it to work with all the other computers and ICS.

I would just get another hub or switch but then I would have to run 300+ feet of cable to get to the hub/switch. So if I can get this to work it would be a cheaper solution.

in order to get the ICS to work you must share the NIC on the internet side. also make sure that NIC is DHCP because with ICS it will make the NIC have a a IP of 192.168.1.1 Also make sure that the rest of the PCs are set for DHCP. The server must not have a DHCP scope set because with ICS to will set up its own scope and start up the service by itself. I would check the PCs to see if they are getting a IP.

As for the hub/switch problem cat5 has a max distance of 100 meters. Make sure that you do not extend to far or you problems will increase.

ICS is already working for all the computer in the network except for the one I'm trying to add. I'm having a problem because the computer has to go through a third card in the server to access the network. I don't care much if ICS works or not, just that the other computers can see the new computer on the network.