Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Wheeee! Novell class, Fall semester

In a way this is kinda cool: my college is making it mandatory in certain classes to take a specific exam, and my upcoming Novell Network class is one of those. The bad news is that, 1.) Save logging on with a Novell login screen in a Win98 environment, I have no experience with anything Novell; 2.)The test costs $125 ontop of the class and books...obviously something I really do not want to bomb.

I'm comfortable with Win2k and WinXP in the networking sector. Not a master, but I'm decent enough to get a small network going. I know some of you folks have run into Novell before, and I'm wondering what to expect coming from an WindowsNT/9x background.

Novell is easy stuff. Simple and to the point.

Don't sweat it, you'll ace the class

I have bad memories of my Novell class. We ran both a Netware 5 server and Win98 client under VMware on P3-450s with 256MB ram. It was painful. On top of that we only had 105 mins a week of class time.

I'm a CNA and I gained that qualification after a week long course.

Before that I'd had very limited experience using Novell.

It can get confusing with how security and rights work as they are totally different from Microsoft.

NDS is nice, it's more powerfull than AD which really attempts to emulate it.

The problem is, I went on the course for a place where I was working at the time because obviously they used Novell servers.

Since my contract at that place finished and I've moved on I've never had any need what so ever to use my Novell knowledge again.

A lot of hystorically Novell sites moved to MS once AD was released, not because AD is better, it isn't, but because AD was powerfull enough so that they could move platforms.

It's great to have some Novell knowledge, the qualification will obviously look great on the CV, but don't bank on that many sites using it - although once you know it you may be able to convince sites to change over to it smile

Quote:

A lot of hystorically Novell sites moved to MS once AD was released, not because AD is better, it isn't, but because AD was powerfull enough so that they could move platforms.

Not to mention that many MS applications are starting to leverage AD, and more can be developed using ADSI than can be done in the Novell environment. AD is easier, but if you are familiar with it then you should get by in the Novell class without any problems.

I haven't had any reason to use AD yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. There's some stuff at home I just don't have any reason to use. Here's hoping for a lot of labs in the class smile

Heh - I took a class on Novell Networking and it was part of my Computer Engineering course. It was easy enough, but very useful. There are still alot of businesses that use novell 3/4/5 that need support too.

NWAdmin is super easy to use, server install is a breeze (as long as you've figured out you tree structures and volumes), server setup done via NWAdmin on a client workstation (or filer - anyone remember that?) nice and graphical, but the rights can be confusing as there are many different types fo rights, that what I had the most trouble with anyways. But once you try it a couple times and see how the rights trickle and how the filters work, you should be all good B. I'm sure you will do fine.

The only thing I wasnt really to keen on was the labs. They were half-cocked at best. The last print server lab was a nightmare.

You may or may not need Novell in the current workplace, but some places that I have worked, had a few machines running Novell, and if I had known then what I know now, I could have asked for 10k more a year :P