Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Is XP suggesting 512 MB RAM is NOT enough?

I'm running XP Pro with 512 MB of RAM. Considering the fact I am about as far from a "power user" as one can get, I removed the pagefile from my C: drive, & set a very small static pagefile (24 MB) on my D: drive, which is a seperate physical disk. Now, once in a while XP informs me that it's expanding the pagefile for me. What the heck, isn't 512 MB of RAM enough to run XP with a minimal (or no) pagefile?

The link below shows my pc's memory usage (via Task Manager) when the "Low Memory" balloon popped up.

Click ME Click ME

Can someone throw me a bone here?

I can't see anything for your screen shot. I had a similar problem and knew that it could not be possible. If I booted up then shutdown I would get that problem or just in normal use. All I would run is one or two apps. Then I figured it had to be some crap program I installed. The first program I uninstalled was System Works 2002 Pro and it turns out that was the problem, even though I was not running most of theirs services and options in the background. I believe you are having the same problem with whatever applications that are running in the background or as services.

Ron, where did you get those lovely system icons from?

Quote:
Ron, where did you get those lovely system icons from?
I have tons of icons that I seem to acquire over time. I have no clue where I downloaded them from, since it's been a long long time. Anyway, I don't have a problem sending you a bunch (via icq), but am not really sure if I would get into (legal) trouble for doing so, since they really don't belong to me. You know, that whole "personal use, not for redistribution" thing.

Anyhoo, if we can circumvent any legal ramifications, they're yours. By the way, they look awesome in XP, but don't look very good in Win2K.

Alec, I bumped my swapfile up to 64 MB & I'll see how XP likes that for a while.

lol, pagefile should always be about 150 MB more than what your Commit Charge is when you run all of your every day apps at the same time.

My Commit Charge is about 175, so I have mine at 325.

i use ma VM

made a 800mb partition, made that my VM drive only, u would need it incase your system crashes, it needs to dump the info to your VM, this maybe why as well?

i see no real reason not to have it!

just a guess.

For kew XP themes and visual styles go to:

www.themexp.org

kew site! is where i get my themes and boot screens / login screens

P.S - possible to grab some of the icons? as "testing purposes"..lol and i will even try to locate the eoriginal origins of some, actually, i am doing that right now since work is so dead!!>.lol

Quote:
Quote:
lol, pagefile should always be about 150 MB more than what your Commit Charge is when you run all of your every day apps at the same time.

My Commit Charge is about 175, so I have mine at 325.

You analyze that stuff using performance monitor?

That's cool!

I have to ask:

How long did you do that for to determine what to set it at, I am just curious. Over how long of a period...?

Do you vary your use patterns at certain periods, or do you use generally the same apps all year long etc.??

(The only reason I don't follow that & do it, is it takes time & I tend to run alot of different kind of apps & tools here, which vary as time goes on. Example being I do more coding in the winter & gaming (because of summer heat & less to do outside for myself in winter) & more internetting too then. In the summer, I tend to do more testing of diff. softwares & such to see if any good stuff came out & to compare it to the tools I use now... my use patterns vary a bit.)

smile

APK

I did a year before determining the best allocation for VM. Any time I install Windows, no matter what flavor, i set my VM to the same.