Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedRooster

A little help needed for Winproxy configuration!

I just installed WinProxy on my server. It's almost running fine smile I did everything they said in the guides on the site. But there are 2 things not working now frown

First, I can't log into my hotmail account from this PC! It works from the server!! I get this message with the 403 error :

Quote:
You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

I can't find the settings that is causing that! Anyone knows what I did wrong? The firewall in Winproxy is OFF.

Second, I can't access ftps with CuteFtp and IE6. It's working with Opera, but not the others. Login in works, I do get the welcome message, but then I get no directory listing. Cuteftp times out, while with IE6 I get this

Quote:
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused

Which setting did I miss this time?

So far it's the only problem I've seen.

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Specs:

I'm running on 2k with SP3, the server is on XP

Well the ftp problem is gone now. Thanks Alec!!

I still can't log into my hotmail account, or even Homestead. Posting on messageboard doesn't always work either. I'm posting from server now. Looks more like a security issue. I did the registry hack on both pcs, I haven't touch my bro's pc yet lol I did find 2 error messages when I open Winproxy.

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

That's probably causing all my problems!! Since I don't know much about networking I don't know what to do!

I forgot to talk about how my network is set up! So here it is!! My server(a celeron 466 with XP) has both network cards in it. My bro's PC is connected to the server via a crossover cable, he's on 98. My other PC, the big one, is connected via USB PC2PC cable. It came with my motherboard, might as well use it smile The big on is on 2k. This might help a little bit!

Thanks again!

The hack was done on both the XP and 2k machine, and even rebooted after smile I'm lost with the LMHOSTS part. I really don't know what I need to do there! frown

That 192.168.x.x adress what set by Winproxy, it's the internal IP adress.

I checked my bro's PC, and I was able to log into my hotmail account without any problems. So the problem seems to be related only between the 2k and Xp connection.

I'll check that LMHOSTS thing, and good luck with the interview!!

I took the firewall OFF earlier. Well I did go into the My Network Place to see the properties of my internet connection, and untick the first setting in the Advance tab.

I tried creating a new account using the same nick name I use on my 2k machine but it said that name was already taken! Maybe I once created 2 accounts with the same name can't remember, but I tried creating one with the machine name before the nick but they don't allow enough characters to do that! Maybe I just wasn't at the right place! I really don't use XP much, it's only there for the server.

I can't even get hotmail's front page to show now lol Posting from Opera doesn't work too! Problems are disapearing, others are arriving!!

I expected the proxy to fix my sending problem. I just can't send anything via ICQ, IRC, or MSN. It all started when I decided to do that server!! lol Now even receiving files doesn't work frown I think I'll go back to the no proxy server sharing internet! It was working fine using a simple online guide smile

I'm still a little lost in Xp. I'm better on 2k!! Anyway here's what I tried to do to get that MyMachine\\NickName to work.

I went into the Administrative tools, then Computer Managment, then Local Users and Groups. I double clicked on the Administrators in the Groups folder. I clicked on add, but when I clicked on Locations I could select my other PC frown I just tried in 2k, and I get the same thing. I can't change the location of the user. So now I'm totally lost!!

I'll send a message to Clutch & DosFreak soon!

Thanks again Alec!

I couldn't! Sorry for the typo smile

Quote:
1.) Is your server service started on all boxes as well as Workstation Service??

If you are talking about that Services and Application section in Computer Manager, well the server and workstation services are working if not you lost me lol

I'm a total networking newbie! The only thing I do to share my cable was follow the guide here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics . Only for the client side for the 2k and 98 machine. For XP I used the wizard and choose the "I'm connected to the web, and others connect to me to get the web" or something like that in the wizard! I've used that internet sharing method for a while now! Maybe that's the problem! I'm mixing 2 things to share my connection.

Quote:
2.) Do you have in addition to TcpIP, Client for Microsoft Networks installed as well...?

I just check every PC, and it's there for everyone! I'll reboot a few times, might appear after lol

Maybe after my networking class I'll understand better!

P.S. -> I hate having to post on IE! I miss Opera smile

Here what that IpConfig /all gives me!

2k machine:

ipconfig2k.jpg

The first thing that seems wrong is that empty Primary DNS Suffix. Also that WINS Proxy Enabled is at NO, so that seems bad too. Shouldn't my IP adress be 192.168.0.1 like we said before?

Now the XP machine! In 2 parts lol

ipconfigxp1.jpg

The same things for this one, so maybe it's alright the way it it! That Ethernet adapter internet section is for my cross-over cable that connects my bro's PC to the internet. He has no problem with the proxy! Lucky guy!!

Part 2:

ipconfigxp2.jpg

That's for the USB Pc2PC adapter! Looks good!

Is there any way to get rid of my old ICS settings and start from nothing? At least I won't be mixing Winproxy and ICS anymore!

Quote:
Know what's throwing me the worst?

You're showing (on the first IPCONFIG /all feedback) 192.168.0.xxx instead of 192.168.1.xxx, & I believe DHCP has to use the 192.168.1.xxx format!

That 192.168.0.xxx comes from Winproxy. I redid the install wizard and it puts that adress in the Internal IP box. I can't change it frown

Quote:

ALSO: Have you taken a CLOSE look at your DHCP server entries in that IPCONFIG /all feedback readout from the 2k box?

It's showing 192.168.0.1 as your DHCP server, & is that IP's machine in fact acting as a DHCP/DNS resolving machine? If not, I can see that messing it up trying to get to the web.

So that entry should be change to whatever my IP adress is for that box?

Quote:

You can add your ISP's DNS servernames to this section of the registry on that 2k box & see if it helps here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

In the NameServer &/or DHCPNameServer entries, like your other boxes show it... and maybe that will help. Open REGEDIT.exe in XP, see that area on the XP box & make the same NameServer & DHCPNameServer entries on the 2k box in the same place in 2k box too in the registry for a test. May in itself, fix it up, but I am not sure. This may extend beyond that into the interfaces area below the parameters area in the registry, but worth a test.

ALSO: You can do it on that 2k box in its TcpIP properties thru the GUI as well if you don't like registry hacking!

I did that, here's the results!
ipconfig2k2.jpg
That clarktanguay.com info was what I enter into the DNS setup on Winproxy when they asked me a domain name for the DNS. So that is looking good! BUT now I have a problem. I did the change and took the screenshot, before I redid the install wizard. After doing the wizard I had to put the numbers back, but the registry doesn't save them anymore!! I rebooted and they are gone! The 192.168.0.1 is back there! I've changed it 5 times already, and every time it comes back!!! I'll try rebooting the server first, then changing it in the 2k client machine!

Quote:
Have you considered using STATIC IP addresses on your LAN boxes instead of DHCP, like 10.xxx.xxx.xxx instead? 10.x.x.x & I think 172..x.x.x are not outward broadcasteable to the net either.

(The 10.x.x.x I am SURE is not... it could be 170.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x on the second one, but that also is not either for security purposes & your ICS/WinProxy could provide the net to you, via proxy, as it does anyhow to those nodes with those IP addresses)

Well after the install wizard, winproxy give a text file with what to do with the client PC. They change the file with the new numbers everytime the wizard is done. In the first part they say to put "Obtain an IP adress automatically" same for the DNS. If not I can do this:

Quote:
If you prefer to configure your computers manually
please follow these instructions:

* On each of your client PC's. From the desktop,
right click on "Network Neighborhood"

* Click on "Properties"

* In the "Configuration" tab, click once on
"TCP/IP -> {your Ethernet card}", and then
click on "Properties".

* Specify an IP addresses from 192.168.0.1 through
192.168.0.255, excluding 192.168.0.1

* Specify a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

* Set the DNS server to 192.168.0.1.

* Set the GATEWAY to 192.168.0.1. *** IMPORTANT ***

* Give each computer a unique name on your network.

* Select an appropriate domain name that will not
conflict with names used on the Internet.

* Specify the same domain name in the WinProxy
configuration by selecting File->Properties in
the WinProxy menu, selecting the "Protocols" tab
and pressing "DNS Setup" to specify your domain name.

* If you are using other internal DNS servers, not
recognized by WinProxy, then those should
also be added to the DNS list on your client computers.

* Leave all other TCP/IP settings blank, unless your
particular situation requires specific values.

So I went into the TCp/IP protocol properties for the USB connection, and put those numbers in. I didn't have a Alternate DNS server number but the rest of the fields were full! But after I rebooted I didn't have any web access on the 2k machine frown So that didn't work!

So now I'm shutting down the 2k machine, rebooting the XP one, and I'll change the number in the registry! Hope everything works this time lol If it works I'll just edit this post!!!

Quote:
ARGH! I hit quote instead of edit!

Oh, one SIMPLE thing we overlooked... real basic:

Can you ping the machines between one another 2k to XP & vice-a-versa? This is VERY important, lol, & I overlooked it!

(Also, on each system... can you ping 127.0.0.1 on each? This is the loopback test to see if TcpIP is properly installed on each one as well...)

* Boy, TOO easy to overlook the basic tests!

APK

Basic test yes, but I don't even know how to ping the other PC!! So I don't know if that works!!

I've read every guide on the Winproxy site, and search on googles, and a few other messageboard but nothing on it frown I'm thinking of installing 2k on my server and start all over with only Winproxy. That might work, and 2k will be more familliar and less of a hog on my old celeron smile

I'll keep looking for help!!

Thanks for for everything Alec!!

Well it's 4:30 am, I just spend the last 2 and a half hours reinstalling 2k on another partition on the server. Trying to get Winproxy to work but it doesn't!!! Can't even find a Internal ip!!! I wanted to go back to XP, but the installation is now screwed up! I'll have to try and repair it!!!! I'll get some sleep before I shoot my PC smile

Well this morning I got rid of 2k on the server. Reinstalled XP over the old one, I know it's not the best thing but still!! Took me about 2 hours to get the internet to share even using the Wizard!! My computer really hates me now :((((

It's working now, but I didn't reboot after the wizard like it said. I don't want it to stop working after I reboot lol I'll leave with this config for a while I guess smile

I'll stay with ICS for a while. I'll see about that Linksys part, I'm out of cash for now! I might unplug my brother soon anyway. So I'll use the cross-over cable for my PC instead of the USB PC2PC thing. Might have less problems with that!

I did learn a few things, like install Win 2k at 2am isn't fun lol I did have fun trying to figures things out, at least here I can kick my pcs when they don't work the way I want! In school I can't do it smile