Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

MCSE Accreditation - is it worth the hype

I ask this question as a job I'm thinking of applying for lists MCSE accreditation in the Selection Criteria (also asks for Tertiary Quals) but only pays $AU46k.

This is the only point in the criteria that I would not easily cover. All the other criteria listed, I could cover standing on my head and this leads me to believe that they are simply listing the MSCE to weed out serious people from tyre kickers.

It is a PC support role in the public service dealing with hardware, software etc (you know the deal).

I am going to apply for the position but am wondering how disadvantaged I would be by not having an MCSE? I have always scored well in the practise exams I've done so I figure I would have 60% of the knowledge req'd for an MCSE but due to where I live it's really hard for me to get it done. About the only thing I have had limited exposure to is AD but I know my way around Win2k/XP, NT4/2k server & Exchange enough not to get lost.

What do you think?

if 100 people were applying (including you in that number) and 99 of them had MCSE and you were the only one that didn't, then I could see you being at a disadvantage.

However, i don't think that would be the case and you shouldn't be handicapped at all by that. I don't know why they expect MCSE for something as simple as hardware and software support. I don't even (or plan to) have a single year of university/college experience and I run a business based on computer sales and support without a hitch, no MCSE, no big ass degrees, nothing. Frankly, wasting your time for a piece of paper that tells you how great and wonderful you supposedly are isn't worth it.

Go for it.

Whenever applying for a job, it doesn't hurt if you go for one that you might have some missing qualifications for. As for having the MCSE; yes it helps in many cases and they are probably asking for it because there are so many more tech workers looking for jobs now that have experience and education/certification since the dot-bomb layoffs.