Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aravi Nemiji

Win2k question

I've heard rumours about Win2k reformatting all FAT partitions to NTFS during the install.

I've got two questions about this

1. Is it true?

2. If it is true, does it discriminate between partition types (ie. does it reformat all partitions or just FAT ones)?

Basically don't want to lose my Linux install and pretty much all my data to Win2Ks assimilation fetish.

2K does nothing to FAT partitions during install unless you tell it to. (Except the MBR of course)

So the only thing that would affect your *nix would be the MBR which you can easily fix if ya got a bootable *nix CD/floppy.

Oh good, just need a working floppy drive now.

Need Win2k and Win98 for some driver development work I'll be doing. Does Win2k have issues with being on the second partition on a drive (the third partition contains all my logical drives, the first two are primary partitions, two 2GB regions that were intended specifically for this purpose).

Nope, When installed 2k's boot.ini will point to the 2k partition telling it where to boot the OS. Since 2k will not be able to "see" your *nix partitions then the partitioning # scheme may look kinda weird.

You might also consider sticking *nix into your boot.ini if you use NT primarily.