Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

Outlook takes too long to retreive mail

I have 5 users with the same computer computer configurations. One user in particular has a problem with her email in outlook 2000. She says she sent email in the morning and it wouldn't arrive until an hour or two later. All outlook client are set by default to check for new email every 10 minutes. My desk have to problems getting emails. We're not on exchange just postoffice workgroup. I suspect her .PST file is getting too big (70 megs compare to most people at 5 megs). Anyone run into this situation?

I have seen users with 700MB+ PST files, and what you will normally see is a delay in launching, moving around from folder to folder, and closing Outlook. My current Archive PST (I use Exchange for my current stuff) is over 500MB and my box is fine. What email system are you using? Have you tried asking all of them to send an email to the same address at the same time? Then, have that address reply to all of them at the same time as well.

Hi Clutch,

Users are using Outlook 2000 (part of Office 2000) using MS Postoffice mail. My next test was going to be as you suggested. This does not happen all the time. Just once in a while, and then it's back to normal. All their .PST files are located on a server. Network traffice would not contribute to this cause it's not that congested. It's just wierd. I thought about re-installing the client again and see what happens. thanks for the reply.