Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Messaging across a LAN

This is the first time i've had a LAN (2x Win2k boxes) since like 1993 or something when i had Win3.11 & Win95 on a LAN.

I remember i was able to send Messages that popped up at the other computer back then. I can't remember what the program was called, i think it was a native Windows app, thopugh not sure their either.

Is there anything like that in Win2K? I have looked though have found naught.

I mean i suppose i could get ICQ, Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger or other bloatware functioning over the LAN but all i want is a text popup screen, No contact lists, wizards, emoticons, sound/video conferencing, visual effects :x /cartoons , eyecandy or ridiculous typing noises or whatever else they include in them these days.

Is it possible that the software that i used back then was something from novell or whoever i bought the NIC's from?

Cheers,

Go to the command line and type "net send /?". This will give you the popups.

Quote:
Go to the command line and type "net send /?". This will give you the popups.

Thanks, Clutch.
I saw the post, then hurridly ran off to test it, i forgot to reply smile

So yeah, that was exacly what i was after.
Cheers.

Net send is funny, we used to send messages like "your pc will self destruct in 10 seconds" to ppl, then.....

"9"

"8"...

laugh youll be suprised how often it actually worked smile

net send is also very evil at LAN parties when people have neglected to turn off the messenger service. Some joker comes along and sends a message to the entire workgroup which sometimes has the nasty habit of causing Windows to effectively alt-tab out of whatever game they were playing... smile

It was also used to fool many gullible people into thinking Microsoft were spying on their use of illegal copies of XP a while back IIRC.