Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tessx

Bios problem

I don't think its a 2k problem but just general:

I've got a compaq desktop 5200 mmx running 2k on a pentium 200, and since I installed a superior version then 95, I can't acces the bios, and can't install 95 anymore... Is there a possibility that i removed some files after formatting (I don't know much about bioses) ? And/Or is there a way of reinstalling the bios, it'd be quite useful smile. Sorry I know that it has nothing to do with 2k (or maybe), but anyway, *please answer* smile

Yup, you wiped it. When you installed 2k did you delete any partitions? These partitions held your Compaq Bios. It may be possibile to use Partition Magic to make a partition and then install the Compaq Bios but it's best to start from scratch.

(These aren't really the "Bios" really just extensions to the bios. Compaq likes to pile TONS of stuff onto the HD to help you better manage your computer...unfortunately when you wipe it your SOL...unless you have the Disks or can find the downloads @ Compaq)

yes i did delete the partitions frown

I tried already once to find any bios files but this computer must have 6 years... frown I'll search again...

Your best bet would be to find the CD(s) that came with the system, as they would have your system partition setup function on them. They might even be listed as SoftPAQs or ROMPAQs.

Actually, I have a question. When you say BIOS, what exactly are you looking to do? I just want to make sure that you are not trying to get to an old DOS prompt. Also, Win95 will not install since you are either running NTFS or FAT32 partitions (unless it's a version B or C Win95 CD). Does Windows 2000 boot and run?

So, I'll answer in order smile

-Well I don't have the cds

-When I say Bios, I actually try to enter it with F2, F10, F8 or DEL or something to be able to modify the order of boot, power options etc...

-Yes I'm on FAT32... frown or smile (depends :))

-And win does boot correctly

Only that I've got a boot on cd first and would like to change that smile

Also one thing, the bios (when I could still access it) was wierd ;( It was like running on win 3.1... using mouse and white windows... But I was limited to 4 icons I think and the checkboxes weren't like 3.1... :x