Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Helshad

Office XP SP2

Installed it without any trouble... Need the original CD though.

It is now version 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP2

If you have versions before 2002 (10.4---.3---) SP1 you might run into trouble... Read on other forums that SP2 told them that they had wrong versions and stuff... probably beta...

You better have the original CD... laugh

Anyway... Just wanted to say that its a good update... no strange stuff so far...

Thanks for the ver #. Was just adding queries to SMS and didn't know the ver # for OXP SP2.

i want to download the full service pack not just run through the office update web page. I looked in the Download center (the same place i found the full install of sp1) but it is not there. I is in the product updates section however. What gives? anyhow does anyone have any direct linkage that they could give me. I mean i can install it but i have lots of computers and i do lots of reinstallling so it would nice to have the full download saved.

ok so now what is the diff between these

besides the fact that the regular install is 14 meg and the admin install is 49 meg

does the admin install have all the sp1 stuff in it also?

Quote:
The admin install can be "slipstreamed" into your original Office XP CD. smile

WORD! That is sick I didn't know that you could do that with the office cds. Thanks Dosfreak you tha man!

EDIT: I assume the instructions to do that are in there somewhere?

Nope. frown

Haven't created a guide myself but I found this on another board via google.

Quote:
2. Whip out your Office XP CD and create a shortcut to the setup.exe

3. Edit that shortcut and add /a to the end like this setup.exe /a

4. Now use that shortcut to create an admin install point. (I used G:\OfficeXP)

5. Now it will ask you for the key and what not during this process.

6. After creating the admin install point you should have a directory with 7 files and 1 directory called files

7. Now download Office XP SP1 - Admin version 40 MB (!)

8. Run the admin update and point it to a directory you can create. (I extracted my files to D:\oxpsp1)

9. Now open up a command prompt and enter in this information (remember D:\oxpsp1 is the SP1 files and G:\OfficeXP is my admin install point. You might have to change these to match your computer) "msiexec /p D:\oxpsp1\MAINSP1_Admin.msp /a G:\OfficeXP\PROPLUS.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* G:\oxpsp1.log"

10. Now you can burn the contents of the admin install directory to CD and then install Office XP SP1 with no problems

Also, if you do slipstream you get a couple more benefits.

1. Leave the slipstream install on a server (as I do) and you will not get prompted for the CD since the install will know where to reference from, and

2. You can update the installation and push out the update via AD if you like (or SMS).

The instructions posted above work for SP1; amended below for SP2-

1. Whip out your Office XP CD & place in CD-ROM drive.

2.Cancel out of any auto-play boxes if applicable.

3. Start-Run X:/setup /a (where X is your CD-ROM drive)

4. The default location of C:/Office will be fine.

5. Now it will ask you for the key and what not during this process.

6. After creating the admin install point you should have a directory with 7 files and 1 directory called files

7. Now download Office XP SP2 - Admin version 49 MB (!)

8. Run the admin update exe and point it to a directory you can create. (I just used the existing Config.Msi folder, as reflected in the TWO commands I used later-below).

9. Now open up a command prompt and enter these commands one after the other-

msiexec /p C:\Config.Msi\MAINSP2ff.msp /a C:\Office\PROPLUS.MSI

SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\temp\1.log

& then

msiexec /p C:\Config.Msi\OWC10SP2ff.msp /a C:\Office\OWC10.MSI

SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\temp\2.log

10. Now you can burn the contents of C:/Office to CD and then install Office XP SP2 with no problems (name the CD Office XP_SP2

FWIW etc.

Quote:
No sweat, Four & Twenty-I've gotten many a tip from your posts before.

glad to know that i have helped

i think i am gonna start organising my tips and tweaks and whatnot because i have lots of things like this that i can/should share.

The same slipstream method works for MS Publisher as well. And you can slipstream the hotfix that just came out for MS Project.

i just did the slipstream installation and it worked great

now i have another question

clutch you were talking about pushing the office xp update through AD

how do you do that

i messed with sms a little but it is more than i need for my small network

all my servers are .NET if that makes any difference

Put simply, you go into the software management portion of the group policy you are applying, and add the MSI there along with any modifier files (like transforms and such) and/or command line switches.

With a little more detail, here's what I have. My setup has a separate network policy (apart from the default one that's normally there, but you can modify that one as well however it's good to have as a backup) for Domain Controllers, Servers, and Workstations. I also have workstations broken up too (admin, regular, restricted) and have those policies adjusted with their own containers for these stations.

So, what the hell does this mean to me you ask? Well, when you look at your Active Directory Computers and Users panel, your workstations will normally show up in the "Computers" container. If you right click on that, go to properties, "Group Policy" tab, then select the group policy there and click "Edit". You will now see the overriding policy for your domain. Expand software settings and you will see software installation. Then, right click on the right hand pane and select "New". At that point, it walks you through deploying a new software package (MSIs are all I have used, but I think that "ZAP" packages work as well, however nothing else will).

Once you have the package setup, it will be installed the next time the policy is refreshed on the client. The GP is usually downloaded first, then applied and after a reboot the software install kicks off. Once the software installation is done, you will be allowed to logon (however, you can run policy application in async mode but it isn't recommended).

Also, you need the Office installation customizer to generate the transform file you are looking for. It should be in the Office resource kit, and is pretty easy to use. I setup mine to include the default company of registration, to accept the EULA, include the serial number, and other settings like disabling the launching of MSN Messenger in Outlook.

HTH.