Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

Imitate floppy for a program

OK, here at work we have a program that is OLD OLD OLD. It works great, and we need it anyways to program radio's to certain frequencies.

Like I say it works great, but there is one small issue that is angering me:

it makes a pool directory on the floppy drive and does nothing with it. If you do not have a 3 1/2" floppy in, the program will not start. Is there anyway to immitate or fool it into thinking that there is a floppy on the computer???

It is an old DOS 3 compatible program, and I have checked all the install batch files as well as some of the systems batch files. Short of reverse engeineering the exe file, I am at a loss.

Quote:
RF work there? That looks like something you'd use in handheld RF utilizing scanners or something in how you describe it...

Yessir, handheld and vehcile bound installs. I work for a company that provides radar and communication support for the local air force base.

Currently I am trying to figure out why all the vehcile systems are breaking squelch - but we cannot - cause in the cage it does work fine!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, can the program effectively become the "a:" ?

Quote:
(Also last year for Fedex in one of their repair depots using Welch Allyn Handheld scanners & their own proprietary middleware to carry the RF back to an Access Database, but that was pure 100% Windows stuff & Win32, not really appliceable, but I was not sure HOW you were using this stuff in RF & thru what media & OS etc. so I had to ask & state this stuff!)

Oh no nothing like that. Its jsut simply software that will update the radio's EEPROM and set it up for differing channels of use. I can read in a radios info from the serial port, save it as a file, re-write it for VCO tests, then edit the origianl setup and make sure the freq/channels/rights are correct, then copy it back and tune all the deviations and levels.

Im looking over the links now, and thanks for that speedy reply fellas!

Ill bbiab after I have tested them out.

WTH is "breaking squelch"? Just want to know for future reference. smile

Quote:
WTH is "breaking squelch"? Just want to know for future reference

Normally, when not transmitting or recieving radios are silent. It requires a certain voltage (we have ours set to 0.4 uV) to trip them on to recieve. In a vehicle, squelch is breaking (ie: radio is cutting in and white noise is outputted to the speaker) and we have no idea why, its not harmonics, nothing. Seems that when clsoe toa fender squelch breaks at a lower voltage than normal. The voltage has to be at a certain frequency as well to break it ie:156.15 MHz will not break 156.8 MHz, but it is only breaking at a certain freq.

So - long story short - break squelch = annoying.

Quote:
You could heve use the subst command

Hey! Perfect!

Seems more of an elegant solution for what I need (sorry Alec & Dosfreak - but thanks for the help anyways - very much appreciated!)