Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
noBrain

The best way to back up

What is the best way to backup so that if i clean instal my os and put the backup in, the program or application in seperate patition will still work?

....My main partition is on drive c (where the windows 2000 advanced server is) and in drive d is where all my application.

.........many thnx in advance

veritas backup exec is the kind of thing ur looking for. dunno if u can use it without a DAT drive tho. sorry

i personally hate doing images and such, i dunno, just don't trust em..lol

i would rather back up my folders i need. favorites, email etc import / export, what ever and do a fresh install of everything

If not, try norton Ghost, dunno how good it is, my work m8 here has used it many times, and there has not been any problem with those systems.

I used to use the stripped down Backup Exec included with Windows 2000 but now I use the REAL Backup Exec since it offers Software Compression which the stripped down ver does not.

Recently I backed up in excess of 100GB+ to another HD and the software compression in Backup Exec shaved off about 6gb I believe.

I perform my backups by simply backing up to a seperate HD using Backup Exec and then disconnecting the power from the HD. I am debating on using my USB2 external HD for backup's so that I can use my internal IDE bay for more HD's instead of using them for backup......

Also the backup was fast...I wish I kept the statistics but I just reloaded my system and forgot to save 'em. Anyways it took under 2hrs to backup 100GB and about double the time to verify....You won't find those kind of backup storage/speeds in a Tape Drive....