Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jhaymon

Nothing works on USB ports in XP...please help

;( I cannot get a scanner or camera to work on my USB. If I check the usb in device manager, it is enabled and working correctly but I keep getting a pop up saying unrecognized usb port. I have searched everywhere I know for an answer for the problem and have not been able to find one. Please help if you can. Thanks!!!

Quote:
u wouldnt be using a via chipset by any chance?
I hate to sound stupid, but I am not sure. How would I find out??

Go into Device manager and look at for Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

It will tell you the chipset.

It could be a power Issue as well. You might need a powered USB Hub to supply USB with enough power

What motherboard are you using?

One other thing that springs to mind is that your mobo has USB2 ports - which you'll need drivers from your mobo manufacturer to use - although they are usually identified in Device Manager as USB2, it's just that Windows doesn't have drivers for them.

AndyF

You forgot one thing you need enable it in the bios first if it turn off it will not work at all.

USB IMO is a two sided blade, one is good for overclockers; no matter how you tweak your system, it still stays at 48MHZ speed on the controller at default, but when you overdone it, especially when you have an average PSU then chances are you would run into problems with it, try check this.

After a second read it seems that you could possibly try to relocate the device to thr root hub of USB, it might help.