Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Bobo

Cannot assign drive letter to partition

Hey all. I've just installed XP on my laptop for testing, and I've ran into a snafu.

Laptop is a Thinkpad T21, and the OS is installed on a 20 GB internal IDE drive. I have all my data on a 60 GB, NTFS drive that is attached via the Ultrabay. Partition is not encrypted or anything, and the disk is basic and online.

XP sees the 60GB drive, has marked the partition as "healthy (unknown partition)", has the drive label correct ("Images"), and recognizes it as NTFS, but it won't let me assign a drive letter so I can access the data (and yes I tried under the administrator account).

Actions like "change drive letter and paths.." are greyed out. The only action i can perform is "delete partition". The partition acts normally when i boot win2k.

Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to make the "stand by" button on the "Turn off computer" screen become "hibernate" instead? Holding down shift to hibernate is stupid - who ever uses stand by?

Thanks in advance!

I had the exact same problem with a new isntall awhile ago. It turned out that the installation had marked the partition as "hidden".

Had to load Partion Magic and unhide it. That fixed it for me smile

/Toby

Thank you so much Sir Toby!! I am forever in your debt. You helped me save an mp3 collection that took years to accumulate.