Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Gator software.

Does anybody know how it gets installed? I somehow manage to always get that thing. It should be illegal what they are doing. I never installed it or even saw it.... and all of a sudden Im surfing the web and a little ad pops up with the gator thing. I removed the program... I just want to know how its installed? Is it through an active x control or something?

I answered my own question by searching the forum :P. It seems certain shareware will install it without asking. How can we protect ourselves from this.. there must be a way to block it. Im that serious. I dont think a 3rd party program should be forcefully installed on a computer. They should inform you of this...

Grab ad-aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/.

Run regualr scans - thats the best you can do to get rid of them all.

As far as installing - the best bet is preventative measures. Chances are, alot of shareware will have SOMETHING in it, ie: Kazaa installs everything and the dog.

But hopefully they start asking the user if they want gator/new.net installed.

i had that one time also that type of crap realy pisses me off

it is not usually directly my fault when my computer gets crap like this

i guess i shouldn't let my friends and family use my comp.

The software worked excellent... not only did it find gator... it searched my other drive and find many instances of it. It also found other crapware on my machine... Almost like I had an infestation. Thanks for the link.

u did have an infestation

i think gator is pretty bogus and whould like to meet those peeps face to face.

i use norton firewall and it tells me anytime a program tries to access ANY ports

(including loopbacks)

i worry less about spyware now and i report malicious programs and websites

isn't there like something that all of us smart pc savy dudes can do to like fuk these people up? Like blocking it or getting rid of it is one thing, but what about some sort of counter attack? We should set up some sort of DOS attack on the sorce of this gator crap.

You can get spyware free editions of software like Kazaa. I'm using one such copy, but it's in German wink I'm a little rusty with the longer words, but I use it successfully.

Running Ad-aware once a week is probably your best bet on staying spyware free.

Quote:
isn't there like something that all of us smart pc savy dudes can do to like fuk these people up? Like blocking it or getting rid of it is one thing, but what about some sort of counter attack? We should set up some sort of DOS attack on the sorce of this gator crap.

yep yep i would have to agree.

Quote:
Quote:

yep yep i would have to agree.

so where do we go from here
anyone know how to orcastrate malicious attacks?

Another way that Gator gets installed on your computer is when you visit a website that uses some cutesy mouse icons. You may not want to admit that you just clicked "YES" to install "components that help you view this page better". Now you have cutesy mouse icon whenever you go to that website and , oh yeah, you have Gator too...oops! laugh