Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nutsadamus

spontaneous reboot

Hi all,

I made the very stupid suggestion to a friend that i help build him a computer. It worked fine for 3 days and then started randomly rebooting itself. The reboot is accompanied by an audible click, as if a breaker is switching on the motherboard.

Sometimes it reboots fine, other times it just dies and hitting the power button does nothing. After a minute or so, it starts up again by itself. Uninstalled all but the essentials from the machine. Left the hd, video card, cd-rom and reinstalled win2k. That didn't help either. I thought maybe it was a driver or irq issue, but i doubt it now. I unchecked the "auto reboot on error" option but it still just seems to power right off without a blue screen or any error message.

The only things i can think to do is try a new power supply or memory stick. Any thoughts?

It's a 1.8 northwood and asus p4b266 mobo. nvidia geforce 2 gts, 256mb crucial 2100, netgear ethernet card, lite on cdrw.

My buddy had a monitor that was intermittently doing this flickering/popping thing. Is it possible a bad monitor could fry the motherboard?

One other thing. When i installed WIndows the 1st time, I installed as Standard PC. I tried reinstalling as ACPI after all hell broke loose, but that didn't seem to help cuz it rebooted itself the first time windows came up after the install.

I'm still not sure if its a hardware or software issue, although if a win2k reinstall didn't solve it, I'm leaning towards it being a hardware issue.

Valuable lesson #1: Don't offer to build someone a computer unless you have a loner for them when it inevitably breaks down.

I'll take any suggestions before I tell him to ship back the whole lot for a refund.

i am gonna guess it's a bum power supply

the "click" and the self restarting is prolly sunthin in the ps cooling off and reconnecting (ie. breaker, defective ic)

Quote:
i am gonna guess it's a bum power supply
the "click" and the self restarting is prolly sunthin in the ps cooling off and reconnecting (ie. breaker, defective ic)

agreed
a good power supply is the foundation of a stable system
cause lets face it, it doesn't work without power.
I would recomend an enermax powersuppy or if you have lots of money get a PC power and cooling ps.