Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Can i ruin my monitor if....

Hey all

Well, lets see here

i got a nice 19' trinitron monitor, and i recently unchecked the "hide modes that this monitor can not display."

i now have my comp @ 1600 x 1200 with a 70mhz refresh, and it seems fine.

I am curious, because it would hide the 70mhz if i checked off "hide modes that this monitor can not display." and only allow me 60mhz @ 1600 x 1200.

So, what i am asking, is can i ruin my monitor this way?

Since my monitor CAN display this mode (as it seems so far), why would it be hidden?

Or will my monitor simply not work if it did not actually support that refresh rate

"out of synce range" message would pop up right?

I have looked around for the actual spec on the monitor but can not find them frown

I just want to be sure that even though i got it at this setting, that down the road the monitor won't just die on me...?

The specs of this system are the VAIO down below.

You are correct... either a given resolution will work or not. The fact that it is working at all for you indicates that you will be fine at that resolution. The plug-and-play sometimes does not discover all valid modes for a monitor, thus this one was hidden from you. If you can figure out exactly what model the monitor is, you could probably get a driver that will correctly have all of the available modes for you.

I tested my 15 inch goldstar monitor since it only allows me 75Hz on 1024*768 and puted it on 85 Hz, but when I checked the OSD it still displayed 75Hz. So it doesn't go out of range, but sets itself to the highest valid refresh rate. weird?? :x At least i'm sure this is the max ref rate smile