Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Does Dell favour Nvidia? over ATI?

Hey all

well, if your read some of my other post, my work is buying me a new system, which they want to get from Dell............ and the choice of video cards on Dell's site are (for the system i want)

New 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ MX Graphics Card with TV-Out

New 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4200 Graphics Card with TV Out and DVI

New 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4600 Graphics Card w/DVI and TV-Out

New 128mb DDR ATI Radeon™ 9700 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI

[/list:u]

We are getting dual monitor systems.........and well, the 9700 Pro supports dual monitors (as everyone knows!), same set up as Nvidia - 1 CRT VGA connector, and one DVI connector.

So, i choose the ATI card, cause i want it over the 4600 ultra (got one of them at home, want a new toy - and personaly prefer ATI)

There is an error with your order. Please scroll down, address the (2) items below and continue.

1. There is a compatibility issue with the Dual Monitor Support you chose.

2. There is a compatibility issue with the Optional Second Monitor you chose.

no, there is not a problem!!. Under where u choose the monitors it says:

Optional Second Monitor

Requires that you make one of the following selections

New 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4200 Graphics Card with TV Out and DVI as your Video Card

New 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4600 Graphics Card w/DVI and TV-Out as your Video Card

Dual Monitor Support

DVI-VGA Adapter to connect 2 CRT Monitors

Requires that you make one of the following selections

New 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4200 Graphics Card with TV Out and DVI as your Video Card

New 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4™ Ti 4600 Graphics Card w/DVI and TV-Out as your Video Card

So, what is the problem Dell? The ATI card has the same dual support as the Nividia , and yet Dell says u HAVE to get an Nvidia card in order to get a dual monitor system, or even just a DVI connecter.

Sorry, but what kind of BS is that.

Next i call Dell, which is not even likely to be Dell - Guess what they tell me..... take a WILD guess

Sorry, the ATi 9700 Pro does not have dual monitor support

i LAUGHED MY ARSE OFF!!! i read ATI the web site to the numb nuts on the other end.... as he sat in silence realizing how retarded his asnwer was.

Man, So

Conspiracy?

I am gonna harrass Dell until i get a respectable answer from them laugh

Also, though, if u spec out a Small Buisness"workstation" from dell the video cards used are

ATI, Rage™ 128 Ultra, 32MB, VGA

nVidia, Quadro2 EX™, 32MB, VGA [add $109] Dell Recommended

Special Offer: ATI, Radeon™ VE, 32MB, VGA (dual monitor capable) [add $10]

Special Offer: ATI, Radeon™ VE, 32MB, VGA/DVI (dual monitor capable) [add $30]

So, what the f**k? and why use A 32mb card on dual support (yeah, it will handle it, but........).... and yet not allow a 128mb version to offer dual support?

I think who ever decided what can go with what on Dell's site needs a wake up call!

And if Dell does favour Nvidia, whay offer 3 ATi cards for workstations, and one Nvidia?

thoughts....................

I order workstations from them all the time, which is why I have a dedicated small business team rep and he has a small circle of support staff to help him. I can usually get what I want in a system, he just has to ask his crew to make sure that all the parts work together. Bear in mind that those listings on their website aren't set in stone, but the warnings are setup from their most popular and stable combinations (hence the Optiplex workstations have Quadros and better rather than the latest and greatest consumer cards for the sake of stability). Just call them directly and they'll be willing to sell you pretty much whatever you want.

kew kew

well, i gues i will have to get the right options when i call to actally get someone who works there..lol - i would assume "sales"...

i never really thought about it in terms of "stability"

but i figure something like "dual" monitors is not a huge "no-stable" issue.

oh well.

thnx guys.

Well all i can say is im running a 9700pro as we speak with dual monitor (1tft and 1 crt) so they are obviously talking outta there ass laugh