Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

WHEW! I want it: Dual Xeon 2.8ghz processors coming up...

I'd like to see some software to take advantage of that system... BTW, how much L2 cache do those chips have? Still a .13 micron process, I assume?

Well ive always wanted to go dual 8) So maybe this can be an option. How much more are xeons than normal p4s of the same speed?

my 2.2's were roughly 300usd each several months ago

they arent really any more expensive than the p4's

the expensive part is the boards to run em and the special power supply u need.

I suppose the only boards you can get are made by intel then? So no overclocking allowed frown

Quote:
Until Intel reduce their crazy prices I'm not going to even bother giving their chips a second glance.

ummm
the amd mp processor (2200) is going for about 221 (oem)
the 2.2gig xeon is going for about 257 (oem)

i will gladly pay 30 bux a chip for an intel.

M4Carbine:
yea only intel and serverworks
my board (supermicro p4dc6+) has a forced clock function that will let me oc but the chips currently run about 30deg f over oat, and i cant find any supercoolers for the xeons.
besides these things FLY! so im not worried about oc'ing

OK just 2 more questions smile

1) Whats the HS mounting like? is it like the normal p4 mounts?

and..

2) What memory type do you use with yours? Ive got 512mb RDRAM here and it would be good if i could use that.

yea the hs/fan mounts up like normal... sort of

but remember the xeons are 600 pin chips

they arent the same overall size so a regular hs/fan wont match the clips.

yes i have rambus pc800 (512 also)

all in all with hyperthreading turned on, most software screams

some of the crappier software (surfcam and mastercam) actually generate slower.

i am very happy with this setup.

OK sounds good, i might have to go for them. Ive always said to myself that the next system i get will be dual, but i always thought it would be amd as my general feeling was that xeons cost a fortune. But obviously they dont smile

Ill just have to pick out a nice mobo pretty soon as i doubt rambus will be around much longer laugh

the only sucky thing i found with the xeons is that the mobos that use ddr are all server only boards... with graphics and no agp port

supermicro, tyan and iwil make workstation type boards

but they all use rambus ram

i wrestled with that delema for awhile and said "screw it" and got the supermicro (about 570usd)

u can get a good deal on a mobo/processor combo

i got mine at

http://www.micropro.com/parts.htm

1 year warranty on everything and the mobo came with the cpu, hs/fan and memory already installed

the cpus, mem, mobo and ps were 1470

ps the ps MUST be a special for the p4xeons and there are only a few cases that fit those types of mobos. (server cases like antec will not work)

I read somewhere that they are switching to 32 bit Rambus, which means that you will no longer have to have a matched pair of chips.

The reason why Rambus is handled in pairs (in Pentium 4 systems, Pentium 3 systems based on the craptacular i820 chipset could get away with only one RIMM and one continuity RIMM) is because the i850 (and I believe the i860 too) utilise a dual channel memory interface and you need a RIMM in each channel. Thats how they can claim "800Mhz" and "1066Mhz" when the RAM is only clocked at 400Mhz and 533Mhz respectively.

The i850 already supports 32bit PC1066 RDRAM but only unofficially. It's still ridiculously expensive (although thats Rambus' fault for making manufacturers take it up the butt from them with their ghey royalties) and still has to be upgraded in pairs.

Dunno if this is a reliable source of info, it was the first thing that popped up in a Google search:

http://www.ebnonline.com/business/news/story/OEG20020910S0056

RDRAM was good technology but since Rambus were greedy it never really go to have its day. Unfortunately the P4 is going to be kind of hamstrung without it but who cares.

^^

The above was written before I'd read the projections for the phase out. Intel will continue with the i850 and PC1066 RDRAM until 2005 (giving them enough time to design a chip who's performance isn't shackled to RDRAM).

Some info

For Servers:

Available speeds 2.80GHz, 2.60GHz, 2.40GHz, 2.20GHz, 2GHz, 1.80GHz

Chipset Intel® E7500 Chipset

ServerWorks* GC-HE chipset

Features Dual-processor enabled

Hyper-Threading Technology

Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture

Rapid Execution Engine

Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)

Advanced dynamic execution

Cache Level 1: Execution Trace cache

Level 2: 512KB Advanced Transfer cache

RAM Dual Channel DDR

I/O Bandwidth Up to 3.2 GB/sec.

System Bus Frequency 400 MHz Front Side Bus

For Workstations:

Available speeds 2.80GHz, 2.60GHz, 2.49GHz, 2.20GHz, 2GHz, 1.80GHz, 1.70GHz, 1.50GHz, 1.40GHz

Chipset Intel® 860 Chipset

Features Dual-processor enabled

Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture

Hyper-Pipelined Technology

Rapid Execution Engine

Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)

Advanced Dynamic Execution

Double Precision Floating Point

Cache Level 1: Execution Trace cache

Level 2: 512KB Advanced Transfer cache -- 2.40, 2.20, 2, 1.80 GHz (Level 2 256KB Advanced Transfer cache on 2, 1.70, 1.50, and 1.40 GHz only)

RAM Dual-channel RDRAM*

I/O Bandwidth Up to 3.2 GB/sec.

System Bus Frequency 400 MHz Front Side Bus

Level 2 Advanced Transfer Cache

The 512-KB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache (ATC) is available with current speeds of 1.80, 2.0, 2.20, 2.40, 2.60, and 2.80 GHz. The 256-KB L2 ATC is available with speeds of 1.40, 1.50, 1.70 and 2.0 GHz. Both deliver a much higher data throughput channel between the Level 2 Cache and the processor core. The Advanced Transfer Cache consists of a 256-bit (32-byte) interface that transfers data on each core clock. As a result, the Intel® Xeon™ processor with 512-KB L2 Cache and Intel® Xeon™ processor with 256-KB L2 Cache can deliver a data transfer rate of core speed multiplied by 32 bytes, reported in GBs. This compares to a transfer rate of 16-GBs on the Intel® Pentium® III processor at 1.0 GHz and contributes to the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor and Intel® Xeon™ processor's ability to keep the high-frequency execution units executing instructions vs. sitting idle.