Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rajat

COmputername dislayed in metwork browser evn the user logout

Hi,

why the computernames are visible in network browser even the user is logout from the server or shutdown his computer.My server is windows 2000. Because of this some user face difficulty to loging again on the server. Plz provide help

The user being logged in or out has no bearing on the machine showing up on the network. If the machine is on and online, it will register its name with a WINS box (if available) and the Master Browser (these are the systems that handle your request when you use "Network Neighborhood"). Also, a machine can still be listed for up to an hour after it has been shutdown if it didn't get to properly remove itself from both of the aforementioned systems while shutting down.

IIRC the master browser is determined by all sorts of bizarre logic. Each operating system (9x, NTW, NTS, 2K etc) has a point score, with NTW being higher than 9x, and NTS being higher than NTW, and there's other stuff that goes on in the background too. At the end of all t hese calculations, you end up with a master browser.

Needless to say, on a peer-to-peer network where you have several similarly configured machines, you end up with a fight for control as several PCs are likely to have the same score. Take a look through your event log, you should it has loads of "PC-XX thinks it is the master browser, but my dad's bigger than your dad, so I'm gonna fight ya for it" - OK, so I may have para-phrased that last bit wink

Near the end of this link is a more accurate description smile[/url]