Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

The best reliable download manger

What is the best reliable download manger. I've been using Getright for a long time but recently its corrupted my larger downloads.

thx for the link. However, I'm not looking for speed, im looking for a corrupt-free, reliable manager for my downloads. Most download managers which split the file up into different bits have a higher chance of corrupting the file.

What sort of downloads has GetRight been corrupting? I've been using it for years and it's never corrupted any of my downloads, even the 600-odd Mb Linux .iso's I download. OK, I tell a lie, I once tried to download Sun Solaris 8 and it used to corrupt that but that wasn't entirely GetRight's fault since another download manager on another OS would corrupt the download too.

GetRight doesn't do Segmented Downloading by default unless you set it up to auto-segment, you have to enable it on a per download basis. If auto-segment has become enabled, you can switch it off in the GetRight Configuration dialog. It's under Downloads -> Auto Segment.

With getright, it can help with downloads, with me, if i segment a download it will ALWAYS increase in speed by about 10Kb/s or more, my conenction is an ADSL 512/256, i even noticed the difference with my old modem, before i had ADSL, fro 2Kb/s to about 4Kb/s, thats 200% incerase with a 56k modem 8) .

As for alecstaar's question, yes it does help quite a bit, especially with big files, so you can pause and unpause them...

Getright has been corrupting my larger setup files. Recently it has corrupted the Java Development kit(30mb) and the neverwinter nights critical buid(30mb). As i'm currently using 56 k modem its been really frustrating.

I've tried using stardownloader and although it is fast and has a good interface, there is no way to stop it from automatically catching clicks. Ive tried turning off browser intergration, changing file types and closing the program numerous times but still pops up when i click a link. THis is annoying as all the links i click are not always files i'd like to download.

Yeah, I've used a few/tried a few downlaod managers and they all seem to split some files every now and then, especially it the actual downlaod site/server is beyond par or if you're downloading from ftp. Recently, I've settled for FlashGet 1.3. It is fast, really, and works quite well, except sometimes for the reasons mentioned above. they say it's free for trail and then you have to register it, but I've been using it for over 3 months now totally free!? laugh

Most cause issue no matter what and les sand less site are supporting them.

I now use on called

Netpumper because it works with Anti-leech web sites directly, it is the onyl one iuse as some of the sites iget stuff from use java which uses%100 CPU power when u use their download system, but use netepumper and it uses none.

Quote:
Guys (those of you on BSP's with DSL or Cable):

Do these things help you with Broadband?

I don't use one, and I have a 1.5MB cable connection. I don't think I've ever had a corrupted download. All cd images that I have downloaded (generally different linux distros) have an md5 hash for verification, and after downloading, all hashes match. Speed wise, I generally (server dependant) maximise my bandwidth by downloading 2 or more files at the same time, just using IE6's downloader.

Do these things help you with Broadband?

I don't use one, and I have a 1.5MB cable connection. I don't think I've ever had a corrupted download.

I have to agree to a large extent with this. I'm about to swtich my 'normal' cabel model to 526 kb/s cable and a friend of mine who already has it and who downloads lots of large files, says she (yes: she) doesn't need DL managers anymore, except for some really big files or is she is just impatient smile Modems with as high speed as 1.5 MB; I think it's a bit overdoing using the managers with them. And yes, there're lots of sites where you can't use managers, but it's still good to have one around - just in case.

heh, I've discovered that setting GetRight's User Agent string to that of a web browser (my GetRight identifies itself as Netscape Communicator) and making it supply a fudged referrer (I tell GetRight to generate it from the download URL) gets around the vast majority of blocks put in place to stop the use of download managers.

Everyone does not realize the TRUE beauty of using download managers.

What happens to your 750mb download when your computer crashes?

See what i mean?

Hmm, good point. I must admit that personally I've also used the download managers simply to speed up downloading, but you're right- the ability to continue downloading from where you were after some screw up is a big bonus. And they don't have to be big files we're talking about here. Just asserts my point: it's good to have one around - just in case smile

Hmm, good point. I must admit that personally I've also used the download managers simply to speed up downloading, but you're right- the ability to continue downloading from where you were after some screw up is a big bonus. And they don't have to be big files we're talking about here. Just asserts my point: it's good to have one around - just in case smile

Quote:

See what i mean?

any large files i get are off of FTP's which alloew apending / resuming smile so never have had that problem. - even senidng a large file over ICQ - ICQ allows resuem as well, and may site which allow downloading of large files will allow resuming, even via IE.