Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

Maxtor, Western Digital 1yr Warranty

Just saw that Western Digital is going 1yr warranty on it's Protege & Caviar drives. They can be upgraded to a higher warranty for some extra $$. The new Caviar SE is 3yr warranty

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/newpolicy.asp

Going to research a bit more but has Maxtor gone 1yr for ALL of it's HDs? Anyone know?

Also there are rumours that Seagate is going 1yr too....

If this is true what HD's do we have left? frown

This kind of thing is always going to happen I'm afraid.

With such a fierce market out there for computer components companies have to make these devices as cheap as possible.

Lets consider for a second, we are now more or less at the stage where the 100GB HD's offer the best "bang for buck".

As one company undercuts another so the others cut too.

In the end we are going to end up with some sub-standard devices out there, it is the only way to keep costs down.

Knowing this we'll see warranty lenghts drop too I'm afraid.

I'd much rather pay a little more for a device from a company that is willing to support that device out of the box for three years than say save £20 and only have 1 years worth of backup.

Well if this is true then you just know that almost ALL PC's manufactured wether it be Dell for their "high-end" computers or Gateway/HP with their "low-end" computers...they'll all be using the HD's with the 1yr warranty. Guess these companies can expect alot more consumer dissatisfaction. laugh