Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

Excel linking and file rights

Well - here is one for all you office users out there.

My question is regarding office 97's excel program. A question was asked at work today if one can link to a seperate spreadsheet and edit it within a spreadsheet that has a huge collective of forms, but at the same time the user may access the file that it links to to see this large spreadsheet but not be able to edit it.

ie:

A ---> B ;can edit both A and B through A's forms

B ---> A ;can edit only B, and only has read access to A and the

forms on B are populated from A

Is there an elegant solution to making this work, or is this unfeasable?

The first "problem" is no problem by making a hyperlink to that file. But, B is where I scratch my head. Keeping in mind that the file needs to be updated in B no matter which way you look at it (2 seperate files wont do unless there is a way of populating file B1 with File B2's info).

Cool ... thanks for the reply.

The two will be identical as long as one updates the other.

So - I think that this will work definatly.

**Dusts of VB books**

laugh

Thanks again

Use Access?? or make an MySQL database and use Access or PHP as the interface? (Access - using ODBC)

if that was an option smile

Quote:
Use Access?? or make an MySQL database and use Access or PHP as the interface? (Access - using ODBC)

if that was an option

Cant be done. The document is part of a very large book, and there is way to much data to change. Fri afternoon he told me he didnt care anymore - so the whole question is moot ;( . I am working on an interesting database project now though, and I may drop a line back.

It really would be nice if the companies I work for would be consistant. Last job I was at was all about MySQL and now this one is Access. O well, good to have exp in both anyways.