Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onawa

Can;t re-install messenger after uninstalling it

I like thousands of other XP users chose to at least disable Messenger when XP first came out but un-hiding it and uninstalling it. Things worked great. Then after SP-1 for XP Professional was release I chose to uninstall Messenger the conventional way. After doing so it takes almost a minute for outlook to start up and it’s getting really annoying. Then for work I needed to install it to talk with someone in Canada so I tried to install it. Says it is installed, the icon is in that programs menu but when I click on it nothing happens and outlook still takes forever to start.

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris

No, there's a better way. Go into Outlook, and go to Tools>Options>Other and at the bottom you will see "Load MS Messenger at startup" (or something like that). Uncheck it, and restart Outlook. This will fix it for ya.

But he also needs the MSN Messenger program to talk to that person in Canada (who I presume doesn't have any other IM programs) and since he can't reinstall it, he's screwed.

Of course, had he just applied your suggestion and removed its startup entry from the registry instead of uninstalling it (which saves all of about 5Mb, if that. Then again, that is 50 more pr0n pictures...) he wouldn't have this problem.

OK, get the freebie version of Trillian and use that for MSN IM. Now, all's well...

I had the same prob. I just reinstalled Win. XP frown It got rid of all of my tweaks. ;( Also, it slowed down the startup of MSN Explorer. laugh M$ just loves to PO their customers.