Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

IIS HELP!!!

I want to host a site off my computer.

I have IIS installed with all the options.

oviuslly i can access my site from my own computer by going mycomputername" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://mycomputername but im having trouble getting other people from different computers to access it.

Since i dont have a domain name registarted, from other computers i have to go Http://myipaddress right?.. and then /subdir/index.html if i have many different sites running right?... anyways though is this right?

everytime i try to access the my page it prompts me for a username and password under xp, and under win 98 it asked for username, password and domain.

Whats this all about????....... I went under "admin tools" - "IIS" and properties of my website and under the "directory security", and then "edit" the "annoynomus access and authentication control" Here is were i should be able to change that right? .. but no matter what i change it stil comes up... how do i change this????

Thanx,

Masterfinn

OK, first, you don't seem to have any idea on how to use IIS, and performing "trial runs" live on the Internet is exactly how IIS got such a bad name for security issues. Now, do you have *ALL* of the patches and updates? Have you read *any* of the documentation?

Assuming those are both "yes", go to the properties of the site, and next to the IP address entry select the "Advanced" button. In there, make sure that you only have "default" and port 80 listed, and nothing (like www.test.com or any other value) in the host header column as that will limit what your site will respond to when a URL is submitted.

The preceeding will make sure that you are at the base-level installation and setup for the site. So, do you have any firewalls setup on the workstation (like the built-in one in XP) blocking port 80 from the outside? Have you been able to get traffic to your IP from the outside before, such as in hosting games, ftp sites, ICQ file transfers, etc.? Can they ping you?

Nevermind i have it all working now

And yes i read many many many tutorials on how to set it up and read all the documentation i could find.. the only thing that was screwing me up in the IIS properties for annonymus user access ..... my username "IUSR_name" was fine i just had to go in my "computer managent" and under users i had to change the access rights for that user. it was only set as part of the guest group.. so i changed that and now it works great...

thanx anyways

Masterfinn